Aloha! We're just getting started and I have a few questions

AlohaChick

Hatching
9 Years
Jul 3, 2010
We have 4 Rhode Island Red/Leg Horn crossed girls that are 3 weeks old. (How can they tell the difference at 1 day old?!) We are transforming an old cinder block shed into a coup which is in a fenced in yard. The fence is probably about 3 feet high. Is it realistic for me to think they will stay in this area? We live on an acre. Should their wings be trimmed if they decide to explore? We don't have predators except for owls, but they will be in their coup at night.

also, I don't have access to wood shavings for th ecoup floor but do have saw dust. Will that work? Is it unhealthy? Any other suggested materials?

They won't stay in that area, I'm pretty sure a chicken can jump over that even if they can't fly. Is there any way you can extend it with chicken wire or something? Also I'm pretty sure as long as they can tell their food apart from their bedding and the bedding isn't cedar it should be fine... but I'm not positive

frow.gif
yuckyuck.gif
from Ocala, FL.
I agree with MattalynsBarn that they will jump the fence. I have a three foot fence on one side of one of the run areas that I use and I put some plastic type fencing on there and it stopped mine from jumping up. I would think the saw dust would work but it might decompose quicker.

frow.gif
Aloha No, they probably will go over a 3' fence. Sometimes I get an escapee over my 5' fence, but they always come back to be let in before dark. Wing trimming may help, but they still may go over 3'. Wet the sawdust down to keep the fine stuff out of their lungs. After the initial wetting, the air humidity should keep it from getting too dusty for them.
welcome-byc.gif

welcome-byc.gif
Aloha fellow islander! What island are you on? My RIR free ranges all day. My fencing is about 4-5 feet and I know she can fly over it but she stays in the yard. I guess I feed her enough and give her snacks so she is happy!

I'm on Oahu, in Kaneohe. I was hoping if I kept them happy and they knew where to sleep at night they would stick close. If they do get out but come home, that's ok. I just don't want them wondering too far. I guess we'll just have to wait and see and tweak as we go.

One other question. I have 2 cats. They don't seem real interested in the chicks but at some point the chicks will be out side by themselves. At what point/size should the chicks be able to take care of themselves?

Back
Top Bottom