Alpacas or goats?

SwedishDude99

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 20, 2013
El Dorado County, Ca
So I know this is gonna take a pretty specific person to answer this question, as you probably would have had to raise both of them at some point or another. So my question is, alpacas or goats? I was looking into getting one of these animals, but I wanted to have some questions answered.
1. Which can you make more money off of?
2. Which makes a better pet?
3. Which one is easier to care for?
4. Which one is cheaper to care for?
5. Which would require less land? I am planning on getting two or three, so also how much land would I need for that many?

I still need to do a TON of research on them before I got either one, but I wanted to see what you guys have experienced with them. I have to say though, I am kinda leaning towards alpacas, as they are cooler looking. And also, I would be looking for either just pet quality animals, but if I get alpacas, then maybe ones in which you sell the fleece. Thanks for all the answers I get! I'm really excited for everyone's opinions!:lol:

So I know this is gonna take a pretty specific person to answer this question, as you probably would have had to raise both of them at some point or another. So my question is, alpacas or goats? I was looking into getting one of these animals, but I wanted to have some questions answered.
1. Which can you make more money off of? Depends on your management practices and how much you want to put into stellar breeding stock. Crap goats and crap alpacas don't sell for much, and crap alpacas don't produce quality fiber.
2. Which makes a better pet? I'd have to say the goats win. Even a well handled cria can be skittish. My goats learn to love and swarm people for attention and treats from a very early age, even dam raised kids.
3. Which one is easier to care for? Goats. Unless you get Angora goats, a fiber animal, you don't have to worry about keeping fiber nice, beautiful, and muck free. No shearing is nice. Alpacas and goats both need regular hoof maintenance, and it is easier to do on a goat. Goat feed and mineral mixes are easier to locate than alpaca (sometimes you have to make your own if you can't find it, which can be tricky to get right). Hay needs are the same for both, clean, fresh, mold free hay is key.
4. Which one is cheaper to care for? Goats, definitely. The veterinary costs for a goat are a lot less than an exotic like an alpaca, if something goes wrong. Initial purchase cost is lower, feed is lower (because they eat less), and it is easier to find goat feed and mineral rather than alpaca.
5. Which would require less land? I am planning on getting two or three, so also how much land would I need for that many? Goats, even big ole boers goat can get by on less land. That said, any animal should be given as much space as you can spare.

I still need to do a TON of research on them before I got either one, but I wanted to see what you guys have experienced with them. I have to say though, I am kinda leaning towards alpacas, as they are cooler looking. And also, I would be looking for either just pet quality animals, but if I get alpacas, then maybe ones in which you sell the fleece. Thanks for all the answers I get! I'm really excited for everyone's opinions!
lol.png

I do have some experience with alpacas, as my aunt keeps them. I keep the goats, she has the alpacas. Just because I think goats are easier and cheaper shouldn't turn you off to 'em. I am glad you are taking the time to research!

I am glad you asked that question... I have Alpacas, they are a breeze to care for, only eat 1/3 of a flake morn and nite and l give them a goat molasses mix twice a week. 1 cup per Alpaca
They get sheared usually in May and the lady who shears them, checks their teeth and toes and files/ trims as needed. They get a shot, drops in eyes at this time and barring any problems with births, they are an EZ care livestock. They are a herd animal and tend to group together and don't really bond to their owners. Some might disagree!
I am looking for some Nigerian dwarfs and have been reading and doing my homework and the response to your question was helpful
One thing nice abt my alpacas, is l don't have coyote problems with my chickens... Coyotes stay clear because of my herd of alpacas.

Back
Top Bottom