1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Alpha hen being a B#@%!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CJ's chic chics, Jun 21, 2018.

1. CJ's chic chics

CJ's chic chics In the Brooder

Jun 15, 2018
    So I just started with my little flock and my alpha hen Pearl is driving me crazy. At first all the other girls would go back in the coop but I always had to catch her. Now they all follow whatever she does wich now means chasing chickens every evening before we can go to bed. Last night when I tried to round them up she was aggressive and flying at me!!!! Most of the time she really is a sweet girl except when i try to get her to do something she doesn't want to do. Ugh!! What to do?????

2. boz

boz Chirping

Jun 5, 2018
    Teachey NC
    put her in another pin

3. mixedbreeds

mixedbreeds Songster

Wait a little longer for them to go to roost mine are not roosting now till about 9:00 I have 75 chickens and they all go to bed on there own starts about 8:30 by 9:00 they are all in bed and I just lock them up.

4. townchicks

townchicks Crowing

Dec 1, 2016
    Contra Costa county, Ca.
    When I want my girls to go to bed early, I just throw some mealworms in the pen. Now I reach for the treat can and they run into the pen.

5. HaliefromSC

HaliefromSC In the Brooder

May 28, 2018
    I do the same when I need to round up my gang except I use finely grated shredded cheddar cheese. They DO anything for cheese! All I have to do is shake the bag and here they come!

6. JedJackson

JedJackson Crowing

Jul 6, 2016
    Yeah, I second what townchicks said. Give them treats to lure them into the coop, then lock 'em up.

It's weird that she's flying at you.

7. HenniesInMyHeart

HenniesInMyHeart Songster

Mar 12, 2018
    Colorado
    If a hen were that aggressive with me for any reason other than being broody, I would not be okay with that hen. Sorry to say. That is a really nasty trait. You may want to think about rehoming or at least relocating her if that continues. She is trying to put you in line behind her and order you around ("I don't WANNA go to bed so don't make me or I will discipline you like I would do to any of the other girls in this flock! Get thee behind me, human!") and that's not okay. Okay I am being silly with the "dialogue," but you get my point I hope.
    Regarding her teaching bad habits, sometimes, you can displace the top hen so the others will establish an order without her, then re-introduce her so she has to be 'interviewed' regarding where she will then fit in the pecking order. Often, they don't reclaim the top position.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    CJ's chic chics and Dawnclucks22 like this.
  8. CJ's chic chics

Jun 15, 2018

9. CJ's chic chics

Jun 15, 2018

10. CJ's chic chics

Jun 15, 2018
    I will totally try separating her for a little while. No amount of treats works but I haven't tried cheese (will totally do this tonight). And no the dialogue isn't silly. I totally heard her say that very thing -Lol. Thanks

BY Bob and HenniesInMyHeart like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: