Alpha Hen (Churkey) 1, Red Tailed Hawk 0.

bluey

thootp veteran
11 Years
Apr 10, 2008
Washington, PA
My alpha hen, Churkey (Delaware mix raising 3 EE chicks), did the strangest thing yesterday. She actually started growling!!! She stood real tall and was growling very loudly. All 3 EE chicks and my 4 23 wk old pullets immediately went to the brushpile to hide. Churkey continued this behavior out in the open, until, sure enough a huge hawk flew out of the woods about 30 yards away and left the area.

I was amazed!
ep.gif
I had never seen a hawk that big on our property, although I figured they were around. Churkey seemed almost to be daring the hawk to come get a beating.

After the hawk was gone, Churkey started dancing around clucking and all the chickens followed her to the coop area where I guess they felt safer...

In the absence of a rooster, my alpha hen, scared off a huge hawk all by herself. I just couldn't believe it. She has got one hell of a chip on her shoulder. Neither the cat nor dog will go near her either.

I was so proud of her protecting the whole flock, not just her babies. Amazing!

YEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSsssssa!
I have had hawk problems all summer, tormenting the girls to the point when they moulted it is horrible. I love the raptors but I like them better when they picked on someone elses Fly through KFC.

SO SO very happy to hear that the hawk lost!!!
wee.gif

bun.gif
woot.gif
ya.gif
bun.gif
ya.gif

Way to go! I hope mine learn how to growl. I'll have to work on that with them... They do know how to run and hide in the bushes though.

Yeah Churkey!
yippiechickie.gif
Give that girls some treats.

My light brahma who is head honcho also growls and has from about 12 weeks old. LOL

Back
Top Bottom