Already banned from grandchildren

Karengallant

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 18, 2014
Delaware
[Just got six chicks today, along with needed products, to give to my 57 year old mentally disabled brother who lives with me. He has been wanting chickens ever since he moved in with me 6 years ago. He spends 1 month each year on our father's farm in Nebraska and is very good at caring for the farm animals. There's not much he can do by himself but I am confident about the chickens. He is thrilled and spent all day watching them. Sent a picture of them to my daughter with 2 children under 5 years of age, and she promptly sent back a text saying we would not be allowed in their house and would not come to our house due to threat of salmonella. I am devastated! I have read all the precautions to take and actually, I won't have much contact with them since my brother will take care of them. I will have to supervise him of course. Would it be that much of a risk to see my grand kids?. Here it is 2 a.m. And I can't sleep because I am so upset!

Maybe your doctor could prepare a letter saying how unlikely it would be for you to carry germs to her house. I think she is over reacting. Store bought eggs can give you salmonella also if they aren't properly cooked. Touching animals at the petting zoo is worse., they could get e coli from some of those animals.

You have a valid point drumstick diva. And I will be sure to mention it to my daughter when I respond tomorrow, er, later today.

welcome-byc.gif

Washing your hands before and after touching poultry is very important
D.gif

BYC has a very useful learning center
caf.gif

Apparently she is unaware that every single time a person handles any food there is a chance of contracting salmonella. Every time you touch any surface or just breathe you're picking up some type of bacteria. Tell her to look at the people around her the next time she's in public. She should bear in mind while she does that only about 1 in every 5 people she sees washed their hands after their last trip to the restroom.

images

Welcome to BYC!

Some people are completely cut off from real living and have long forgotten where their food comes from. Eggs come from Styrofoam cartons instead of chickens butts, beef is grown ground, instead of having a face and are slaughtered in processing plants, and fish sticks all swim in the ocean as breaded triangles. So people can be frightened of keeping livestock and eating any products that come from them. Bacteria is far more likely from store bought products due to the over processing and improper handling of these products. All meat products no matter where they come from need to be fully cooked or you can get sick.

May advice to you is this...follow your heart and get your chickens!! But you wait...they will come around once they see how happy it makes you and that none of you have died from any disease.

Never let others sway or guide your life. This is your journey. And you need to follow your heart and do what is best for you. Not them.

Good luck on this fun adventure in the chicken world! And we welcome you to our flock!

images

Welcome to BYC!

Some people are completely cut off from real living and have long forgotten where their food comes from. Eggs come from Styrofoam cartons instead of chickens butts, beef is grown ground, instead of having a face and are slaughtered in processing plants, and fish sticks all swim in the ocean as breaded triangles. So people can be frightened of keeping livestock and eating any products that come from them. Bacteria is far more likely from store bought products due to the over processing and improper handling of these products. All meat products no matter where they come from need to be fully cooked or you can get sick.

May advice to you is this...follow your heart and get your chickens!! But you wait...they will come around once they see how happy it makes you and that none of you have died from any disease.

Never let others sway or guide your life. This is your journey. And you need to follow your heart and do what is best for you. Not them.

Good luck on this fun adventure in the chicken world! And we welcome you to our flock!

LOL I have visions of schools of breaded triangle fish sticks...

I would just give them time. Sounds like she is completely over-reacting. I'd let her contact you in her own time. Eventually she'll get over her fear and contact you again. And don't feel bad about your decision. There is a lot of evidence out there that backyard flocks that produce eggs with darker yolks are actually healthier for you than store bought ones.

Back
Top Bottom