1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Already planning

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by needlessjunk, Aug 30, 2014.

1. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Crowing

May 19, 2014
    Georgetown, TX
    So I'm starting to think I have 1 female and 1 male pekin. However they are stilly young and maybe I will end having 2 females ;) I was thinking that in the spring I would like to add 2 more females to the flock but I would like some smaller ducks. I'm looking at all differently types and would love some breeds that need help. Ultimately we want them for eggs. Will having a larger pekin drake be a problem if we get smaller ducks? I'm assuming 1 lone female addition would not be so good especially since I would more than likely be getting a duckling and it will need company. Am I correct in that line of thinking?

2. KARy408

KARy408 Chirping

Aug 18, 2014
    Livermore, CA
    Hey there, I think you've pretty much got everything correct above!

Similarly, I have four Pekin girls and would like to add 2 Welsh Harlequins now. They are smaller, so won't take up much more space, and are supposed to be The Best Layers, better than Kahki Cambells and with a softer temperament. When you factor in lifespan, I've actually read they are the best layers of all poultry! They're also really beautiful and on the endangered species watch list I believe. But you can still get them from Holderreads and Metzer's.

I'm debating keeping my flock all girls, or adding 1 WH Drake now. Sort of the opposite of your question, but I have been wondering if that would work at all. Would the smaller Drake try to mount the larger Pekins ever, or just totally ware out the 1 WH girl...

What's making you believe you have a drake? We thought 1 of our girls might have been at about 16 weeks, but now at 6 months I'm pretty sure they're all female.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: