Already screwed up day 2, I think??

MakNat

Songster
11 Years
Aug 19, 2008
Ky
First time doing this, borrowed a neighbors bator. Its a still air styrofome one. Put about 28 eggs in there at 99-100. The 2nd night when I turned them late, I didn't get the lid on just right. The the morning the temp was about 88. Is the whole thing shot. Should I still give it a try or am I just wasting my time???

I'm new at this too but the second night mine got unplugged and I woke up during the night and it was about 88 too. Candled one of those eggs today and saw veins (day5) I think it just slows them down a little, they may hatch a day later. If you are using a Little Giant don't go by the thermometer they give you, go to Wal-Mart and get an Acurite hydrometer-temperature meter for about $8. They are in the light bulb section. (Thanks dave and mojo for that info)

Last edited:
I am no expert, but I can't imagine that you have shot the whole batch. Besides, what have you got to lose by continuing? You will be candling the eggs around day 7 and if the eggs are white it will be easy to see the development. Keep going and be positive. Things work out.

Ending up cold is far less damaging to them than staying over 105 and up for extended periods.

It may make them hatch later but it usually doesn't kill them all. So keep going and hang in there. They're pretty durable little packages.

I forgot to mention this.. Every time I open to turn the eggs only for a minute, the thermo goes down to 85-80 right away. There is noway the eggs get that cool, right?? And not supposed to ever let it run out of water right?? Temp too high is more dangerous then too low???

Quote:
on day 2 dont see that you will have a problem at all. no the eggs dont cool that quickly just the air temp trick is to trun thelm as quickly as you can and get the lid back on. IT is best to keep water in all the time if it goes dry fill it back ASAP. I check mine every 3 days for water and add if low But i also use a truner and makes it harder to watch and fill. Yes too high is worse than to low for short times.

I read when momma hen broods the eggs she will leave them for 15 to 20 minutes once a day to take care of her personnal needs. The eggs do cool some & reheat when momma returns. I have decided not to worry about my recent temp drop.

Good luck!

Six days after I gave my rooster away I put eggs in a home made bator! I would love to have babies from him. This is my only chance!

just leave them in the bator lets hope it works out
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom