***Alright, my quail are hatching!!! PIC's Added!!

Well, im up to 77 quail with 26 more eggs to go with lots of pipping and ripping!! I actually have lots of A & M's!! Most of the quail are in the brooder and they are eating, drinking and some are even doing the Coturnix hop already and spawling out like they just dont care! I am curious how many more are going to hatch overnight!! Take care!!...............Jason

jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

woot.gif

Well, pulled the plug on the bator last night after candeling/breaking open the remaining 8 eggs and i had a final hatch of 95 chicks out of a total of 105 eggs set ( two were broken before i put them in the hatcher) so in reality it was 95 out of 103 eggs!! The ones i broke open contained a few infertile eggs, one full term chick that died after pipping and a couple that stopped developing at what appeared to be about mid term.

Of the hatched chicks i had two with splayed legs (one with a normal leg and one leg that was splayed) and one chick with something wrong with its neck, it couldnt right itself at all, just flopped all over the place.

So all in all it was a good hatch!! This may be my last hatch of Coturnix quail, as i might get out of them all together unless the market is good around here. I like the little critters a lot and the tameness of them, but i feel really wasteful when they give me a ton of eggs and i cant do enough things with them, i can only eat so many eggs!!! A lot of the times i crack the eggs open for the chickens to eat. I am not going to get out of the quail business completely, as i am going to lean more towards the wild type quail like Gambels, Valley and Blue scaled, with a smattering of bobwhites.

I guess time will tell.

When i decide to order Coturnix eggs strictly to raise meat birds for myself, atleast i know a bunch of good people to order eggs from on here as i have met a lot of good people while finding information on the little critters. Thank you everyone!!...Jason

Back
Top Bottom