1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Alright, tell me how I did...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Chicken Frenzie, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    At the local feedstore, we ordered some chicks today. They will arive just before Easter, they're not an Easter Present, but that's EARLY! [​IMG]
    Please, tell me how I did on picking the breeds [​IMG] (These are all suppost to be good layers... I didn't get the ones I already had [​IMG] )
    So, they had a breed list, so my Mom let me pick which ones I wanted.
    (All pullets)
    1) Araucana
    2) SilverLaced Wyandotte
    3) New Hamshire Red
    4) Buff Orpington
    Mom says: What!?!? No silkies!!! I WANT SILKIES!! ( Here's what I wanted to do [​IMG] )
    5) Light Brahama
    Man says: Oh, if you get one more you wont have to pay an extra $4:00
    6) GoldenLaced Wyandotte
    Did I do good? =P

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  2. mychookschick

mychookschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    Sounds pretty good to me! The only one that I wouldn't get for myself is the Brahma. But that is just because I wouldn't want to clean their feet as often as I would have to here... [​IMG]

I am getting both Silver laced and Golden laced Wyandottes around that time too!

ETA: I love my Buff Orpingtons! I got 11 awhile back and 7 turned out to be roos so I got rid of most of them, but the ones I kept have never attacked anybody! And my hens come running when they see me!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  3. Mrsfoote

Mrsfoote Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    I've owned 3 of those breeds Brahmas and Wyandottes are my favorites....They both mature more slowly but my Silver Laced Wyandotte is super sweet and lays an egg everday. So I think you did pretty darn good. Buff Orps are suppose to be super sweet.

4. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    Sounds like a good mix. You will gets lots of nice eggs out of them. Just keep in mind your Araucana is actually going to be an Easter Egger, though.

5. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    Quote:I know =P. Lol, I don't really want an araucana, I want an Easter Egger =3. Lol Araucana's look weirsd to me o_O, plus Easter eggers are awesome ,I have one [​IMG]. But, she was suppos tot be an Easter Egger =P. Well, we'll just see!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by