Alternative for Vaseline for frostbite prevention.

Vaseline can actually freeze it self, and may add to or cause frostbite on the comb. Having adequate overhead room and ventilation may help to prevent it without using vaseline. In some very cold climates, it can be impossible to always prevent frostbite. It frequently happens from late Dec through late Feb, according to the many post on BYC each year.

It seems I’m out of Vaseline for my roosters comb. It’s dropping to freezing at night now and I’m not getting to the store for a day or two. I have bacitracin on hand, also neosporin without the pain reliever. I thought to use coconut oil but wondered if it would stick or just melt off.
Any suggestions?
The first thing I would do is look at your coop set up. Is there a water source in their sleeping area? They will be spending more time in their coop so ensuring that the coop has a low low humidity will prevent frostbite. Take any water sources, add a thick layer of dry bedding, and do not heat your coop. These things can keep your humidity levels lower and prevent frost bite from happening in the first place. For now I'd recommend keeping the area dry, clean, and protected from wind.
Also, ensuring that the coop has circulation while remaining draft/wind free will help keep the humidity levels down too

I live on prairie in SW Neb. The only birds that succumb to frostbite are my leghorns. Those girls have those huge floppy combs. When the temps are bitter( 20 below wind chill for example) I just force the girls to stay in coop. That's why the need for room in coop.

Folks up north just let nature take it's course and they loose the tips and eventually become just rounded combs. They lay on their feet so no problem there.

Hi! I am a new member The first thing I would do is look at your coop set up. Is there a water source in their sleeping area? They will be spending more time in their coop so ensuring that the coop has a low low humidity will prevent frostbite. Take any water sources, add a thick layer of dry bedding, and do not heat your coop. These things can keep your humidity levels lower and prevent frost bite from happening in the first place. For now I'd recommend keeping the area dry, clean, and protected from wind.
Also, ensuring that the coop has circulation while remaining draft/wind free will help keep the humidity levels down too.
Thank you I already addressed these points when I responded to a previous comment. My coop never had water inside and is scooped daily to prevent fecal moisture. It is well ventilated above their heads under the eves.
The super dry bedding is quite deep depending on where they are scratching currently. Some areas about 2 feet deep and others 6 inches. I am adamantly against heating a coop. I’m quite proud of my clean, dry, odor free, very well ventilated coop especially since I designed it and my son in law built to my specifications.
I didn’t use anything on my Albert’s come in the begining but he started having issues with the tips. A couple of years ago I started using Vaseline on deep freeze nights. After that his comb never had problems. I think that could be different than people. Humans sweat so, yes I can see moisture getting trapped. Roosters combs don’t sweat so that may be why the Vaseline helps. Just realized I ran ou🤷🏻🤣.

I see you’re a new member but I’m betting you’re not a new chicken tender. You are quite knowledgeable on cold weather chicken coop particulars. Cudos!👍🏻👍🏻

I live on prairie in SW Neb. The only birds that succumb to frostbite are my leghorns. Those girls have those huge floppy combs. When the temps are bitter( 20 below wind chill for example) I just force the girls to stay in coop. That's why the need for room in coop.

Folks up north just let nature take it's course and they loose the tips and eventually become just rounded combs. They lay on their feet so no problem there.
Yes, my boy Albert is 1/2 Leghorn and his comb shows it. So far only the very tips have rounded so his comb is still quite sunning. Unfortunately he has lost 2 toe tips to frostbite on one foot. I believe he walked in a puddle outside at some point. He has a funny little limp now but it doesn’t stop him from being a fabulous rooster.( I credit his excellent healing to a compress of comfrey. )

Oh and my girls would wing-flog me if I didn’t let them outside regardless of temperature! The coop is a large walk in with plenty of extra room but they still go outside. They have a large run that I wrap the walls in clear tarps to reduce drafts and blizzard winds so they are just as comfortable out as in. 😊

Back
Top Bottom