Alternative to Bleach?

The OSB is the least of the issues. The walls don't meet at the corners and the "vents" are just gaping holes cut in the boards. Like I said, we basically just got a frame! Our plan is to put another layer of wood on the outside to cover all that and make it water tight. Then we'll install proper ventilation.

One more thing on sanitizing - the prior owners left us the feeder and waterer. They hung them from a bar where apparently the chickens liked to roost, so they have poop inside and out. They are the basic kind I can get at any feed store. Are they worth trying to clean, or should I just buy new ones?

Thanks!

Wash 'em up with soap and water.
Rinse with 10% bleach solution.

It's probably been mentioned, but how long since there were chickens in this coop?
No chickens since September.

And as the thread title suggests, I'm looking for alternatives to bleach. Would hydrogen peroxide and sunlight be effective?

I think HP, and sun, would disinfect the feeders.
I'd go with replacing as I've had a hard time finding HP for a while now. I'll probably just use a fine grit sandpaper for my clean out next week. Any reason to fully disinfect? They've already been exposed to whatever bacteria that's in there.

I'd go with replacing as I've had a hard time finding HP for a while now. I'll probably just use a fine grit sandpaper for my clean out next week. Any reason to fully disinfect? They've already been exposed to whatever bacteria that's in there.
I only use soap and water to clean my feeders and waterers, maybe once or twice a year.
Don't use sand paper, just makes a rougher surface,
all the better for things to hold on and grow.
I use a nylon scrub brush if necessary, won't scratch the plastic.

I only use soap and water to clean my feeders and waterers, maybe once or twice a year.
Don't use sand paper, just makes a rougher surface,
all the better for things to hold on and grow.
I use a nylon scrub brush if necessary, won't scratch the plastic.
I meant fine sand paper on the roost bars. I should've been more clear.

Last September is too recent to be free of Marek's disease virus, if present, and this coop will be difficult/ impossible to actually 'sterilize'. besides, you have it, and all that stuff, on your property already.
Find out what happened to their previous chickens!
Some intestinal parasite eggs could still be viable, and won't be killed with anything except a blow torch (not recommended!). Anything else should be irrelevant after this time.
Glad you have N95 face masks! Those, or a respirator, are what's needed for coop cleanout, always.
You have a great start for a coop, having the framing and some walls. Post pictures!
Adding exterior siding will be a great plan too.
If wild birds have been in it recently, mite eggs could be there, so cleaning and a nice addition of some permethrin wouldn't hurt either.
Paint or stain on the interior will look so much better, and won't be so easy once the birds are in it, ever again.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom