Alternative to CornishX suggestions

Etorb1

Songster
Jun 24, 2020
Last summer I raised 15 Cornish cross. I got them for $.50 from tractor supply so they were really economical. I am satisfied with the taste but I am looking to try something different this spring. I have looked at the Red Ranger/freedom Ranger types. I am also considering a heritage breed like Orpington or New Hampshire. I would like to have a decent day 5 lb or more dressed bird at 20 weeks or less. Does anyone have any suggestions? I was also wondering if it would be a problem to get all males as they are cheaper?

Guy did a study on a few heritage
https://projects.sare.org/project-reports/fnc12-866/
Screenshot_20210117-090502.png

I did a less formal study - I got a 50 bird "fry pan special" to see if any of the so-called dual purpose breeds were.
Short answer is, they're not.
But the surprising winner - by a long shot as far as growth and having actual breast meat - was Red Sex Link roosters. Honestly, they're the only ones I'd bother with again.

If you really want to raise a heritage breed for meat only, and don't mind spending the extra money on feed and chicks, you can always try out some hatchery purebred Cornish. I've gotten Buffs from Ideal twice and the first time they were lovely chunky things. The second time they had much better color and looked like someone was trying to "improve" them for show, but I'd swear they were crossed with the banty version. But you'll likely have much better luck with the far more common Darks

Back
Top Bottom