Alternative to feed

BelovedBirds

Crossing the Road
Nov 8, 2021
England
Don't worry this has nothing to do with the conspiracy theories 😂

I've done a very silly thing and didn't order a new bag of feed enough in advance. And now it's been delayed a day and I ran out last night!
It was meant to be here this afternoon so for breakfast they had egg, oats and (a small amount of) fish. But now the food won't be here until tomorrow or latest Friday. I feel bad about it but I'm sure it's not the end of the world... hopefully

What's a healthy alternative for now? They've had an egg each today, so I'm guessing more egg is no. I could give them some more fish, whatever kind is healthiest, we probably have some frozen or tinned. We have oats, maybe some veggies such as carrot, possibly courget, rice, calci worms, sweetcorn, peas.. what would be best until food comes? I just don't want to give too much of the wrong thing.

I've done a very silly thing and didn't order a new bag of feed enough in advance. And now it's been delayed a day and I ran out last night!
It was meant to be here this afternoon so for breakfast they had egg, oats and (a small amount of) fish. But now the food won't be here until tomorrow or latest Friday. I feel bad about it but I'm sure it's not the end of the world... hopefully

What's a healthy alternative for now? They've had an egg each today, so I'm guessing more egg is no. I could give them some more fish, whatever kind is healthiest, we probably have some frozen or tinned. We have oats, maybe some veggies such as carrot, possibly courget, rice, calci worms, sweetcorn, peas.. what would be best until food comes? I just don't want to give too much of the wrong thing.
Could you pick something up from a local feed store just to hold them over? I have to order my feed online too but I’m a lunch I’ve been able to grab a different kind to hold them over. Not sure what your situation is or even if you are able to do that. I’m unsure on things from home, but I might give them a bit more fish or possibly even some beef liver or something since I have a ton left over, but again not sure what you have on hand.

Could you pick something up from a local feed store just to hold them over? I have to order my feed online too but I’m a lunch I’ve been able to grab a different kind to hold them over. Not sure what your situation is or even if you are able to do that. I’m unsure on things from home, but I might give them a bit more fish or possibly even some beef liver or something since I have a ton left over, but again not sure what you have on hand.
I don't have any meats except fish-
That is a good idea, but unfortunately the only feed store that stocks duck feed is a decent drive out, and the reviews online are pretty poor- so if I can make do from home that'd probably be ideal. I may be able to pop to a supermarket to grab some something though, if I don't have enough at home

Try cooked beans (navy, pinto..) & cooked pasta.

Rice, pasta, lentils, eggs, that is what I give to my chickens when I don't have access to feed. Keep in mind this is not in any way shape or form a balanced diet, so you do need to get feed pretty soon. I'm not sure if this is intended for your ducks, if so I may not be the best person to comment, but you could also try and give them some weeds and grass

A couple days of not eating feed will not cause a deficiency or health issues. Until your feed comes just focus on keeping them full with what you have available to you and that is edible for ducks. For example, I would never feed cooked rice as a treat because it can cause them to fill up and not eat other foods, but I would have no problem feeding cooked rice, fish, eggs and some veggies to hold them over for a couple of days if needed because I ran out of food. With what you have I would mix a batch of fish, eggs, oats and some chopped vegetables.

A couple days of not eating feed will not cause a deficiency or health issues. Until your feed comes just focus on keeping them full with what you have available to you and that is edible for ducks. For example, I would never feed cooked rice as a treat because it can cause them to fill up and not eat other foods, but I would have no problem feeding cooked rice, fish, eggs and some veggies to hold them over for a couple of days if needed because I ran out of food. With what you have I would mix a batch of fish, eggs, oats and some chopped vegetables.

That's what I typically do, though I also put rice in there

Back
Top Bottom