1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Alternative to fish meal?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by petitbleu88, Apr 15, 2012.

1. petitbleu88

petitbleu88 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2011
    East Tennessee
    I'm in the process of mixing my own chicken feed, and the recipe I'm using calls for fish meal. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find it anywhere. I've searched at local farmers' coops, and I even looked on the Fertrell site to see if there were any dealers near me, which there aren't. Is there a good replacement for fish meal that I can use in my feed? My proportions are as follows:

Cracked corn: 50%
    Split peas: 20%
    Whole oats: 20%
    Poultry Nutri-Balancer
    Kelp meal: 1%
    Salt
    Free choice oyster shell

The chickens are in a tractor with a run, and we move them regularly so they do have access to grass and insects.

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I'm assuming the fish meal is for protien. In that case, soybean meal would work.

3. WI FarmChick

WI FarmChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Yes...But wouldn't it be an animal protein rather than a vegetable protein?

I would think it would bring different "stuff" to the feed...Right?

4. petitbleu88

Nov 19, 2011
    East Tennessee
    Since I'm already using split peas in my feed, I'm wondering if using another bean would be appropriate. I would also prefer to do without soybeans in any form if possible. My dilemma is mostly that I can't seem to find food-grade fish meal. If anyone knows of a good source (I live in a very rural area, so I prefer to do most of my shopping online if possible), that would also be very helpful.

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
  6. petitbleu88

Nov 19, 2011
    East Tennessee
    Thanks for the link! That's really helpful because I couldn't seem to find it at any of the feed stores near us, and getting anywhere out here is a big deal--45 minutes to the closest grocery store. I have a small flock (7 hens and a rooster), so I only need a small amount of the kelp, making shipping costs less relevant.

7. petitbleu88

Nov 19, 2011
    East Tennessee
    Oh, sorry, I meant fish meal! Thanks again.

8. WI FarmChick

WI FarmChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    You said feed store. Are you saying store or mill. Do you have a mill near you? The mill would carry more feed supplies then a "store" would.

9. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Of course I'd consider fish meal better than soy, but you did ask for an alternative to fish meal.

10. petitbleu88

Nov 19, 2011
    East Tennessee
    By "feed store" I meant farmers' coop. We have several of those in the area, but none of them carry fish meal, which I found odd. To my knowledge there are no mills near me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by