Alternative to layer's pellets for sick chicken

I thought I'd update this thread.

Unfortunately, Bo died last night. She had been kept in over the weekend for the vet to tube feed, with the plan being to drain her abdomen entirely and do an ultrasound and xray this morning, but her breathing got worse and worse, even on oxygen.

An autopsy revealed a tumour on her ovaduct that he thinks contributed to the yolks ending up in her abdomen, but also inflammation generally, including in her lung tissues.

She was an excellent chicken. Here she is last week, getting a bath to keep her clean while living inside, majestic and regal to the last.

20190905_174558.jpg

Unfortunately, Bo died last night. She had been kept in over the weekend for the vet to tube feed, with the plan being to drain her abdomen entirely and do an ultrasound and xray this morning, but her breathing got worse and worse, even on oxygen.

An autopsy revealed a tumour on her ovaduct that he thinks contributed to the yolks ending up in her abdomen, but also inflammation generally, including in her lung tissues.

She was an excellent chicken. Here she is last week, getting a bath to keep her clean while living inside, majestic and regal to the last.

View attachment 1903334

I’m so sorry! :hugs Glad the autopsy revealed what was really happening, you did great and made sure she was comfortable and treated regally until the end.

Eggs. Raw egg yolks, scrambled eggs, boiled eggs - whichever she prefers. Fage brand 2% fat yogurt. Sav-A-Chick probiotics & electrolytes in her water.

* Side note: higher protein feeds seem to be tastier, at least to my birds - while layer feed is usually 16% protein, all others will be more, ie Meatbird, Chick Starter, All Flock, Starter/Grower, etc.
I second all of this. Especially the side note. I just switched my girls to grower, as one is molting and the other looks to be starting. I mixed it with their layer to start, and they went berserk, picking out all the grower. I could tell because it is a slightly different color.

View attachment 1903334
I'm sorry for your loss :hugs
It's good the vet was able to perform a necropsy and gather more information for you. Sadly, reproductive issues are frustratingly common in laying hens, but knowing the cause of decline does give you closure.

Back
Top Bottom