Alternative to Scratch feed???

Our big Barred Rock, Moose, loves corn. I trained her to come when called by using frozen (thawed) sweet corn as a reward. I also throw cracked corn in the run for scratch.

Can I feed my chickens the wild bird seeds found at Home Depot, it has corn, boss. dried fruit, peanuts, and other seeds? This would just be a treat, but I just wanted to know if it was ok to give since it doesn't say for chickens.

I was just wondering this myself. Our feed store is a bit of a trek for us, but we have a Walmart pretty close by. I noticed they had Kaytee brand bagged meal worms meant for attracting wild birds. I had bought them a few times for the girls, but then I noticed on the back in small print there is a disclaimer about it only being for "wild birds". I forget the exact wording but it was enough to make me stop buying them, and only getting mealworms from the feed store. I was thinking maybe the way the worms are raised makes them unfit for chickens (because humans will eventually eat the product of that chicken). I know I was probably overreacting but I didn't want to get my family sick. Anybody know if this is ok? The worms at my fed store are bagged there so I just buy them in big clear plastic bags by the pound so no disclaimers there

That GMO corn produces Neonicotinoinds, a naturally occurring pesticide that has been pumped up to toxic levels, and it's one of the biggest factors contributing to the bees dying off. Russia and the EU have both banned Neonics. Does the US follow suit? Of course not, the EPA is in the pocket of Big Agriculture, and the President is gutless on this issue.. Back in the 50s we banned DDT, why can't be do the same now with Neotics?

Corn is a heating type food anyway. As mentioned, why even give scratch? For a snack I give veggies! So far our list of likes is, tomatoes, cucumbers,leaf lettuce or iceburg, diced red peppers, brussel spouts steamed,spinach. All are raw unless steamed/cooked is mentioned. I cut things in small pieces, and tear leaf greens. I use a stainless steel shallow pan, and clean it with steaming water and a soapy sponge with a tiny bit of bleach. Then rinse super well in hot water and dry.

I also throw just some of their feed in the run, for exercise. They need to go BE chickens!

Last edited:
Don't see why not. I feed the wild birds hen scratch. It's a lot cheaper than the so-called "wild bird seed" that you can buy.
Thank you. My closest feed store is 2 hours away so for me it is so much cheaper to buy the stuff at home depot with gas being almost 5 dollars a gallon.

I have laying pellets available all day. Each morning I give them scratch with cracked corn,milo, sunflower seeds and other stuff. I get it from the feed store. It is mostly cracked corn, though. So, I went to Walmart and bought some wild bird feed. a 10 lb bag was 5 dollars and mixed it with the 25 lbs of scratch. I may just get cracked corn and a bag of this next time. It will be cheaper. Also, I found a suet block for 97 cents and put one in their pen one day. They seemed to like it. It was really cool weather, so I thought the fat would be ok for them. they needed extra energy to keep warm. Was that ok? They didn't die, so it must not have been horrible.

I give mine scratch, but they too do not eat the corn. But they sure do like it when I throw it in there ;-) I use a lot of garden scraps in the summer too then I don't feed as much scratch. I always have layer mash and oyester shells available.
This year I am going to plant a special "chicken garden". Lettuce, nasturtiums, sunflowers, kale and spinach around the coop for them to eat and for me to easily access for them. Plus it will dress up the outside of the coop:)

I think I am going to check out the feed store special blending too and get rid of the corn. You can get just plain oat feed for horses.. it is a thought. This winter I fed some BOSS... OMG did they go CRAZY for that stufff!! It was a VERY cold winter here so I gave them scratch every moring and they had a block in their pen too.

Quote: why don't you contact the poultry department at one of the big universities. Louisiana state University, Iowa State U.; Cornell, etc. Make an email with the ingredients label, including ratios.
Send it to several of them and ask if ok to feed to your birds. State how often you wish to feed it and how much ratio of their daily feed you intend it to be. I have had wonderful success with discussing issues with Professors and Researchers.
Best,
Karen in western PA, USA.

Back
Top Bottom