alternative weapons that will kill a coyote/racoon/opossum...?

I would get a real gun or keep a trap set all the time. A pellet gun is capable of killing a racoon and would kill a coyote from point blank but that's about it. I would go with a 22 or the 17 hmr. Either one will kill the coyote with a head shot. Make your first shot count when dealing with predators because missing will only teach it to make sure it doesn't get caught coming back but will still come around.

I understand your apprehension about owning and keeping a gun, however, there are no great alternatives for eliminating those kinds of predators without one. You would have to be at extremely close range to get a shot that would do any mortal damage with a pellet gun. Traps can work for some of the smaller pests but you then have to deal with relocating them.

If you do not have any friends that have experience with guns and how to safely store them and use them, you can contact the NRA and find a location near you that can offer a training course. Despite all the flack the NRA gets from part of the population, they are a good organization and want to make sure people are responsible gun owners.

When I was growing up learning about any piece of potentially dangerous equipment, my dad always said, "Don't fear it, respect it".

I wish you luck with your varment problem! You have received some great advice so far from folks on here.

Dont bother using poison! I caught one a couple of days ago and it ate poison like candy and never did die! Grrrr we finially busted it in the head with a shovel!

We have ducks as pets (long story)....yesterday I caught a coon in the quack shack. I thought it was tighter than ft. Knox until one was mutilated. I know im a horrible farmer. ..I know horses not ducks so im commented to keeping everyone safe. After seeing my 6yos pet duck in pieces with it's 5 duck friends watching in horror. ..I lock the ducks in my basement in the burbs. I poisoned the coon with antifreeze. ..it licked the bowl clean. Im a humaniac but the coon wasn't. ...certainly not now. I left the poison where only it could get it...

Anyone who's not familiar with guns should become familiar before owning one. Sign up for an Appleseed event near you, and you will learn everything you need to know, including marksmanship. They'll even throw in some American history while you're at it.

http://appleseedinfo.org/

Check this page to find an event near you.

http://appleseedinfo.org/search-states-map.php

Be sure to tell them in advance that you don't own a gun, and they can arrange for you to borrow one from an instructor.

Oops... Just noticed this thread is more than 3 years old. The above is still good info, though.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom