Alternatives to Sweet PDZ

CKfarm22

Crowing
Jul 8, 2021
Central NJ
I need an alternative to sweet PDZ. I find it way too dusty for us and as someone with a dust allergy, it makes me sneeze constantly when i scoop the poop board.

I found this one that is made for cats but it’s supposed to be very low dust, almost none. Is there any other alternatives?

Attachments

• 77ED58D5-6637-4ABB-B108-7981CBA5FAAE.png
    77ED58D5-6637-4ABB-B108-7981CBA5FAAE.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 76
I didn’t think of sand but i would kind of want something that would “clump” odor… i don’t get to clean the poop board everyday 😁
Sand works o.k. but you will need to scoop much more often than you need to by using PDZ. Especially in hot weather!:)

Are you using PDZ granules or the powder?
The granules aren't quite as dusty, but you're right, it's dusty. I usually wear a mask, especially on heavier clean out days.

I'm currently using a mix of mostly sand and coarse sawdust. There is some pdz in it. It seems to be less dusty.

I'm not sure what clumping looks like with no pee. The dryness seems about the same as the several months when I used only pdz for the poop board.

I don't have trouble scooping any poops, even when they were very splatty after I changed feed a bit too abruptly. I did take a bit more litter with the splatty poops rather than try to shake the extra litter off them like a usual.

I’d recommend a mask if you are really sensitive, irregardless of material used in coop. Chickens are dusty just by themselves.

Our teen is in charge of cleaning out the coop- no poop bards, so it’s shoveling out the bedding full of poop every so often. We make the teen wear a half face mask respirator with the screw on side filters for this task.

But, even a disposable type of mask would help.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/tractor-supply-pine-pellet-stall-bedding-40-lb

This stuff! So it's pellets but you put it in a bucket or wheelbarrow and add a little water. They expand and break apart into small pieces of pine shavings/bits. It's not like the flakey shavings you buy for chick brooders. It's much smaller. It's cheap, keeps the odor down, and scoops like cat litter. It's also great for the compost pile when combined with the chicken poop!

Sand works o.k. but you will need to scoop much more often than you need to by using PDZ. Especially in hot weather!:)

Are you using PDZ granules or the powder?
The granules aren't quite as dusty, but you're right, it's dusty. I usually wear a mask, especially on heavier clean out days.
I am using this. We usually turn on a fan when we scoop it but even then it’s annoying to have to turn it on and then the dust gets stuck else where.

Attachments

• 40652AE8-8F89-434F-8A03-A851C42B97EB.png
    40652AE8-8F89-434F-8A03-A851C42B97EB.png
    469.1 KB · Views: 10
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/tractor-supply-pine-pellet-stall-bedding-40-lb

This stuff! So it's pellets but you put it in a bucket or wheelbarrow and add a little water. They expand and break apart into small pieces of pine shavings/bits. It's not like the flakey shavings you buy for chick brooders. It's much smaller. It's cheap, keeps the odor down, and scoops like cat litter. It's also great for the compost pile when combined with the chicken poop!
Have you tried this yourself?

I tried what I think is essentially the same thing - wood pellets for pellet burning stoves. They were 100% wood, no binders or anything like that. If I let them soaked in a bowl of water, they expanded and fell apart. In the coop, they didn't change shape. It was too dry, I think.

Back
Top Bottom