Aluminum Shed?

tracylhl

Songster
10 Years
May 20, 2009
Myakka City, Florida
We have gone from 4 hens to 29. We're scurrying to build a suitable coop. I went searching around and found good sized aluminum sheds at a great price and we were thinking that it might make the perfect coop. Is there a reason that it wouldn't? We were thinking we could put a vent in the roof and dowels for roosting as well as nest boxes, etc. But the shed itself... is there a reason why that wouldn't work?

should be just fine for florida,i had a8x10metal shed from sears with the slide open doors and it worked just fine.
wink.png

Thanks all. I think we'll go for it. I'm a little worried about the heat in FL. I think we can ventilate well enough to make it work, though. Unfortunately, I didn't plan very well. We received our new girls within a week after making a big move across the state to land that (other than where the house is) really needs to be cleared to utilize. So here we sit with chicks that need a permenant home and a ton of other projects going at the same time. Add to it that I don't think we could build it for the price I'm finding and it seems like a no-brainer!

You will need to insulate because the aluminum will heat up and radiate heat into the coop. Heat will kill chickens 10:1 over cold every time. You will also need at least one fan, hi volume, full time all day. Air inlets all round the bottom and exhaust vent all round the top. Roof and walls alike must be insulated or your birds will cook. beneath a shade tree would be the likely place to locate an aluminum coop.

You can even cut out for storm windows that you can install. Or make your own by those one by four pieces for frame works and plexiglass and hardware wire.

I have a Royal Outdoor vinyl shed that is approaching six years and held up wonderfully! I would not trade that shed for anything since it has been moved twice and set up twice. The heaviest pieces were the floor which made of wood and horse rubber mats.

That's basically what we are doing for our coop. We are building it with wood foundation but the sides will be with aluminum sliding which is just about exactly the same as using a alum. shed. Im in florida too and that's how my neighbor said she did hers with. She is helping me on my coop now.

Back
Top Bottom