Always clucky

BernieMac

In the Brooder
May 23, 2020
Hi,
I have a lovely Cochin girl who is about 10 months old. She’s been laying for a while but this morning has been the third time she’s turned broody in the last 4 months!

We have a routine it seems. She gets broody, goes to jail, comes out 3-4 days later, becomes boss again, lays for a bit then goes broody.

I will put her back in ‘chicken jail’ this evening but is there a better way to break her? Or should I just give in and let her have a baby?

Any and all help will be appreciated.
Thank you.

Hi,
I have a lovely Cochin girl who is about 10 months old. She’s been laying for a while but this morning has been the third time she’s turned broody in the last 4 months!

We have a routine it seems. She gets broody, goes to jail, comes out 3-4 days later, becomes boss again, lays for a bit then goes broody.

I will put her back in ‘chicken jail’ this evening but is there a better way to break her? Or should I just give in and let her have a baby?

Any and all help will be appreciated.
Thank you.
Do you have a rooster? If not, then you probably should try to break her (I don't know how to), because all of her efforts to hatch eggs will be futile.

Me personally I’d let her hatch out some chicks. Dec 11th is the perfect date since that’s when you can participate on the New Year’s Day Hatch-a-long with chicken eggs 😃

One of our Orpingtons was like that. She'd lay about 10 eggs, then go broody. I just let her go through the motions as I didn't need her to be pumping out the eggs. It did mean that she laid through both her first and second winter, so that was a bonus and worth missing out on eggs over summer for.

Do you have a rooster? If not, then you probably should try to break her (I don't know how to), because all of her efforts to hatch eggs will be futile.
I don’t have a rooster. I’m in suburbia so we can’t. I’m perfectly ok to keep breaking her when she goes broody but I’m just thinking of her happiness. My girls are completely spoilt so I feel I’m making this decision for her 😂
I’m waaay to soft

One of our Orpingtons was like that. She'd lay about 10 eggs, then go broody. I just let her go through the motions as I didn't need her to be pumping out the eggs. It did mean that she laid through both her first and second winter, so that was a bonus and worth missing out on eggs over summer for.
Yes!! It’s about 10 before she goes broody! Did you break her or just let her go? I tried to let her go the first time but she was like that for over 21 days so I broke her instead.
how old is she?

I don’t have a rooster. I’m in suburbia so we can’t. I’m perfectly ok to keep breaking her when she goes broody but I’m just thinking of her happiness. My girls are completely spoilt so I feel I’m making this decision for her 😂
I’m waaay to soft
If you want her to raise chicks, then maybe you could have her sit on nest (ceramic) eggs and then introduce chicks under her around 21-ish days later, IDK.

Me personally I’d let her hatch out some chicks. Dec 11th is the perfect date since that’s when you can participate on the New Year’s Day Hatch-a-long with chicken eggs 😃
I’m thinking about it but I can’t really have anymore chickens. I’m ok to keep going but am worried she may become sad if she is always going broody

I’m waaay to soft

Ohh no rooster? Then just keep breaking her. Maybe you’ll get lucky and she’ll lay longer that way like JaeG ‘s hen did.

Back
Top Bottom