Always hungry!

Michele42

Hatching
Apr 14, 2016
I have food for my 3 hens at all times. I give scratch with goodies to them once a day. In the AM they come running to me like they are starving. So I've been giving them some fruit or veggies every morning. Do I need to give anything more?

kimberley848

Songster
6 Years
Jan 8, 2014
So. Cal
My girls are like that too, and they have two 10 lb feeders that I keep full, so I know it's not them being hungry that makes them come running, it's the possibility of snacks or being let out for yard time.

BuffOrpington88

Songster
Mar 20, 2012
They should self-regulate as long as they have free-choice layer, all-flock, or homemade feed available to them all the time. Scratch and other treats like veggies should only make up about 10 percent of their diet. Good luck!
smile.png

chickens really

Crazy Mother of Goats
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Sep 8, 2015
The Funny Farm....Alberta, Canada
I have food for my 3 hens at all times. I give scratch with goodies to them once a day. In the AM they come running to me like they are starving. So I've been giving them some fruit or veggies every morning. Do I need to give anything more?
I was having the same problem...My hens would hardly touch the feed and wait for the snacks. Mine free range twice a day. I cut back on all treats and put out a small bowl of feed in the yard and they now eat the feed. I give fruit and veggies maybe twice a week.
I only use scratch to call my hens to do a head count while out free ranging. I have small hands so two fists of scratch on the ground if I need to find them.
Treats should only be 10% on any given day.

Top Bottom