Always hungry!

Michele42

Hatching
Apr 14, 2016
I have food for my 3 hens at all times. I give scratch with goodies to them once a day. In the AM they come running to me like they are starving. So I've been giving them some fruit or veggies every morning. Do I need to give anything more?

My girls are like that too, and they have two 10 lb feeders that I keep full, so I know it's not them being hungry that makes them come running, it's the possibility of snacks or being let out for yard time.

They should self-regulate as long as they have free-choice layer, all-flock, or homemade feed available to them all the time. Scratch and other treats like veggies should only make up about 10 percent of their diet. Good luck!
smile.png

I have food for my 3 hens at all times. I give scratch with goodies to them once a day. In the AM they come running to me like they are starving. So I've been giving them some fruit or veggies every morning. Do I need to give anything more?
I was having the same problem...My hens would hardly touch the feed and wait for the snacks. Mine free range twice a day. I cut back on all treats and put out a small bowl of feed in the yard and they now eat the feed. I give fruit and veggies maybe twice a week.
I only use scratch to call my hens to do a head count while out free ranging. I have small hands so two fists of scratch on the ground if I need to find them.
Treats should only be 10% on any given day.

Back
Top Bottom