Always picking on the little guys, what do I do?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Poliwag, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Poliwag

Poliwag Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Australia
    I currently have 2 white silkies, 1 ginger and 2 grey.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The pure white silkies in the pictures are Ducky and Precious. The ginger silkies are Jess and Roxy (Roxy is gone now, due to the fact that we aren't allowed roosters here). The white grey one in the first picture in the upper right hand corner is Poly, who turned out to be a rooster and had to go. I got myself a new silkie to replace Poly as he was meant to be a hen. The new silkie looks exactly the same as the dark grey silkie in the pictures who is called Princess, only she is smaller.

Anyway, for a while now, all of the chooks have been picking on poor little Princess and the new addition (who hasn't got a name yet) pretty harshly. They chase Princess around and peck at her feet. She rarely gets a moments peace. The little one gets pecked a lot and chased around as well. Recently, Jess hatched a couple of chicks and has been extremely aggressive towards Princess and the little grey silkie. One time while Jess was incubating the chicken eggs, she went out to feed and she got really aggressive and visciously attacked Princess and pulled out a big chunk of her fur. The weird thing is that Jess, Precious and Ducky don't peck each other. Though, they grew up together as chicks.

I know this is probably normal but is there anything that I can do to umm stop this or reduce the pecking? Princess seems awfully small for her age and I think it's because the others chase her away while they are eating.

[​IMG]

2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    put more things in the run so the weaker one have escape routes.... beer crates and pallets are usually free.... or plant some bush.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by