Always shoot coyotes?

Volvo Farmer

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 6, 2011
Saw our second predator this morning. First bobcat just got a few pieces of #8 shot in him from 50 yards and ran off. This coyote was circling the pen for a while. I ran off to get the Mini 14 and by the time I got it unlocked and the covers off the scope, the 'yote had lost interest in my Ft. Knox coop and was heading away. 1st shot was at 70 yds and missed. Missed #2 and #3 but finally nailed him at about 100 yds.

I never learned to hunt and don't generally kill stuff just for the fun of it. However, I have no problems protecting my livestock from predators. I just feel a little weird shooting the 'yote as he was retreating from an impenetrable pen. We do free range the chickens in the afternoons and on the weekends, and I never know when he might have come back to try and dig under the wire in the middle of the night, maybe with a half dozen buddies too.

Guess I'm looking for support that I did the right thing. I know it's practically impossible to exterminate coyotes, just don't want to upset the balance of nature too bad and for insufficient reason.

I know it must be hard to kill an animal but you did the right thing in order to protect your own. He'd have most certainly been back and one of the future times he'd have caught the chickens outside their protected area.

thumbsup.gif
I'm with you...my rule of thumb anything outside 150 yards..live and let live...anything under 150 yards that is predator...automatic death penalty (Unless federally protected). That coyote was retreating because he saw you and was getting lead thrown at him...they are creatures of convenience, if they don't have to chase their next meal, they won't and chickens are an easy pick.

My question with the bobcat...why didn't you have the mini 14 out the first time? Anything smaller than BB or 00 in a splatter gun with a four legged critter over 5lbs is always bad news unless its a clean shot. That .223 would have made short work of him especially with sights!
old.gif

I have a lot on my farm, always have to. Foxes, yotes, bobcats, bears, neighbors kids you name it. Once a yote fixes on dinner he will come back and they are smart and learn also. If you had missed and let him go all you would have done was educate him/her. Protecting your livestock and incomeis your responsibility when you take ward of those animals.

A coyote's main diet is vermin in the form of rats and mice. I try not to disturb nature's balance if I can. If I see a predator within 50 feet of the hen house I fire a warning shot. If they don't heed, it's another story.

I shoot every darn one I see. I don't care if it is 5 feet or a 1000 yards. They need thinning in most areas. I nailed 4 in one pack one day. They were far enough away that they were puzzled as to what was going on.

Quote:
We have cats that take care of those. In the fields, if the coyotes don't get them the hawks do. When they get overpopulated, they start dying of disease and starvation. I think a quick killing shot is better than starving to death.

Back
Top Bottom