Always something!

FLXCHIX

Songster
Jul 18, 2020
Naples, New York
we made a nice enclosed chicken run for the winter. Essentially, two 16ft fence panels arched and covered with heavy plastic. It has keep the rain and snow out wonderfully! I laid straw down added some wood logs, their dust bath, the whole nine yards! BUT! I have been noticing the straw getting more and more wet. I know that it is coming from the ground, I just didn’t think it would be so much. Straw is definitely not soaked, but getting more wet each day. Do I have any options besides raking out heavy wet straw regularly? The run is 100 sf, attached to a large coop and can’t be moved (moved without a impending divorce that is). Any advice would be very appreciated.

Last edited:
Maybe you could add more dry material to the run? Whenever mine is getting too wet I add some dirt (i keep some in a barrel under the porch to keep it dry, but bagged dirt from home depot would work), some sand, some dry pine shavings, some wood chips, some dirty shavings from the coop.....just more stuff in general, then I mix it all around. Always seems to fix the problem for me.

Back
Top Bottom