Always something!

Maybe you could add more dry material to the run? Whenever mine is getting too wet I add some dirt (i keep some in a barrel under the porch to keep it dry, but bagged dirt from home depot would work), some sand, some dry pine shavings, some wood chips, some dirty shavings from the coop.....just more stuff in general, then I mix it all around. Always seems to fix the problem for me.
Great idea! The chickens will even love to spread it all for you.

I have been noticing the straw getting more and more wet. I know that it is coming from the ground, I just didn’t think it would be so much. Straw is definitely not soaked, but getting more wet each day. Do I have any options besides raking out heavy wet straw regularly?
How deep is the straw?
Got some pics?
Wet is not necessarily a problem, unless the straw starts to pack and/or get slimy.
If it's on a slope is the water running thru the run, or puddling inside the run?
Adding some coarse wood chippings would be the way I would go.

Thanks everyone for your advice. So we opted for a quick $15 fix. Not sure how it will work out in the long run, but we shall see. We removed all the wet straw, laid down a tarp that was slightly larger than the run, attached it to the fencing with zip ties and put straw over the top. That’s it! It ain’t fancy, but I actually think it will work.

Back
Top Bottom