Always wondered

Personally, I cage my hens individually for as long as it takes for them to lay an egg so I can verify what color egg they lay. I sell a lot of laying hens that lay a lot of different colored eggs, so I have to know.

Some people go to the trouble of building trap nests.........

And, yes, some of us hang around until the egg comes out so we can brag about who lays what . . . .
wee.gif

Personally, I cage my hens individually for as long as it takes for them to lay an egg so I can verify what color egg they lay.  I sell a lot of laying hens that lay a lot of different colored eggs, so I have to know.

That is pretty much what I do when trying to figure out what young hens (especially EEs) are laying. In the mornings I put hens in dog crates with a nest box or straw and wait for them to lay an egg, then I keep track of the wingtag or legband numbers.

Trap nests are nests that have a door on them that closes when a hen enters, that way the hen is trapped in the nest with her egg until you release them. http://www.eggcartonstore.com/Special-Trap-Nestfronts-for-Oversized-Breeder-Nest-p/tecs-ns-24.htm

Back
Top Bottom