Am I a Brahma?

nnheacox

In the Brooder
May 11, 2024
This little one is supposed to be a Brahma. Purchased from a farm that breeds Brahmas. It’s the only one out of 5 that has lived. It’s approximately 4 weeks old and has feathered legs. I had Somebody tell me doesn’t look like a Brahma at all. The only other chickens the farm actively breeds is Polish.

Attachments

• IMG_4769.jpeg
    IMG_4769.jpeg
    421.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4766.jpeg
    IMG_4766.jpeg
    399.9 KB · Views: 17
This little one is supposed to be a Brahma. Purchased from a farm that breeds Brahmas. It’s the only one out of 5 that has lived. It’s approximately 4 weeks old and has feathered legs. I had Somebody tell me doesn’t look like a Brahma at all. The only other chickens the farm actively breeds is Polish.
Brahmas have pea combs and aren't usually black or blue. It's not a Polish either, and even polish mixes usually get a partial crest which would be started by now. Were the others marked the same as this one or were they different colors?

Brahmas have pea combs and aren't usually black or blue. It's not a Polish either, and even polish mixes usually get a partial crest which would be started by now. Were the others marked the same as this one or were they different colors?
Two of them were Isabella colored (this is what they’re breeding towards), one looked identical to this one, and one was a more Smokey gray color. I figured it couldn’t be Polish or Polish mixed since it doesn’t have any of those features.

What type of Brahma is it supposed to be?
They are specifically breeding towards their own Isabel line. They just said “mixed color Brahmas”. Two were Isabel colored, this one and one just like it, and one Smokey gray colored.

Could it possibly be a bcm? Idk it looks kinda similiar to mine... that would explain the feathered legs🤔. It doesn't look like a brahma ( I have some right now) the shape isn't quite right🤷‍♀️

Isabel is a lavender base...and pops black when bred to not lavender. If they're using blue black splash, they're not going to get lavender, but they're going to avoid the feather shredding that frequently goes with lavender. BBS also pops black easily. Can you post a clear pic of the face, particularly the comb?

What they're breeding for isn't a recognized color for the Brahmas...yet...but if they can get the Isabel coloring in and get the body type correct, WOW! I want!

Isabel is a lavender base...and pops black when bred to not lavender. If they're using blue black splash, they're not going to get lavender, but they're going to avoid the feather shredding that frequently goes with lavender. BBS also pops black easily. Can you post a clear pic of the face, particularly the comb?

What they're breeding for isn't a recognized color for the Brahmas...yet...but if they can get the Isabel coloring in and get the body type correct, WOW! I want!
Not great pics, but it’s hard to get one of it currently 😅 it was very upset with my husband in that second pic lol!

Attachments

• IMG_4772.png
    IMG_4772.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 8
  • 73794964406__0EFC12FC-CC22-40A0-B550-FA6BCB1EF02D.jpeg
    73794964406__0EFC12FC-CC22-40A0-B550-FA6BCB1EF02D.jpeg
    524.4 KB · Views: 8
Not great pics, but it’s hard to get one of it currently 😅 it was very upset with my husband in that second pic lol!
That does look like a pea comb. Being as they're working on a new color, you may find that this little one doesn't have quite the proper body build of a Brahma. However, it's entirely possible that this one is black SPLIT TO LAVENDER which means that if bred to a lavender bird, will have a chance of popping lavender babies.

Back
Top Bottom