Am I a he or she?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pinkribbons4, Mar 30, 2012.

1. pinkribbons4

pinkribbons4 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2012
    Vermont
    Hello...my name is Ellie (or I might be Elliot). I am a 5 week old (well I will be on Tuesday), Lemon Cuckoo Orpington. My Mom and Dad thought I was a girl, because that's how I was sexed...but now they are starting to think I might be a boy...so I'm wondering if you could help us figure out the mystery...Thanks [​IMG]

P.S. If you could tell us what makes you think so, that would be very helpful too!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I'm guessing cockerel.

The cockerel in this picture is the one looking down. His wattles and comb was a bit more developed than the pullet with her head up. The chick way in the back is a pullet, too.
    [​IMG]

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    boy because of redness in comb and the cuckoo pattern only shows up on boys in the lemon cuckoo orps

4. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
  5. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    well Lothiriel, I am glad you showed me cause I've only seen it on the males, which is why I haven't gotten any lol
    might have to get some now[​IMG]

6. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    I know.... First time I ever saw the Lemon Cuckoo variety I was stunned, and have been wanting some ever since.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  7. pinkribbons4

pinkribbons4 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2012
    Vermont
    So the pinkness in the comb is a dead giveway, huh?! When will we know for sure? When he/she starts crowing? Man, I didn't want to end up with TWO roosters :( Just found out yesterday after I heard a crow that my little Lulu, a black polish, is actually a Louie!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by