Am I a Redneck???

chickens4jojo

Songster
11 Years
May 26, 2008
Upstate South Carolina
I didn't have any of these cool chickens until I hatched some for a school project about 1 year ago & I am addicted to chickens now. I love taking care of them and their beautiful eggs, too. (except maybe cleaning out under the roosts!! LOL) I have a nice new barn-looking red coop for them now even.

QUESTION: Because I have chickens, does this make me a Redneck??!!

I don't think so. Welcome to the wonderful world of chickens. I think chickens make you a nicer person and they get you outside (if you can tear yourself from BYC!) I don't think owning (and even enjoying) chickens makes you a red neck any more than owning a computer makes you a geek.

I am in Greenville/Greer, SC too! Glad to know you are here. What kid of chickens do you have? I raise Serama. Let me know if you ever need anything.

Raising chickens and being a redneck do not go hand in hand. I know worthless people without jobs that have chickens...not rednecks. Me and my husband raise chickens and we are hard working people that work hard at our jobs and hard on our mini farm...we are rednecks. The name redneck came from people working hard in the fields and ending up with red necks from sunburn.

Edited to add: Everyone has their own meaning of the word, no point in arguing....

Last edited:
Quote:
Actually, the term "redneck" has a very long history. The term originally referred to Ulster-Scots and Lowland Scots immigrants who travelled to North America from Northern Ireland and Scotland in the late 17th and 18th centuries. If you have an interest, you can read more about it here:

http://www.experiencefestival.com/a/Redneck_-_History/id/5412814

And for the record, there's nothing wrong with being a redneck. Most people I know that are rednecks are the hardest working, most generous, most unpretentious people you will find.
smile.png

Owning chickens is now cool, anyway. Everyone is jumping on the bandwagon!!! The feed stores here keep running out of baby chick starter (you DO NOT want to wait to buy til you need it) because so many people have new babies. I think it is because it is a really simple and ADORABLE way to get back to our roots...something most people are striving for right now.
smile.png

Well............................... I have chickens, and I'm a redneck - but they don't have anything to do with each other - I'm a redneck cuz I went in the sun without sunscreen, and now I have a VERY red neck!
wink.png

Other than that, I am your average ordinary everyday animal collector!
ep.gif

Steph

In my area redneck is usually a compliment. I think we kind of have our own definition for it too. Seems like it would be the same in NC...so don't take offense to it if anyone calls you a redneck, just say thanks!

Back
Top Bottom