Am I at day 17 ?? Calculation issues

JulieZ

Songster
9 Years
Feb 5, 2010
Trenton, Florida
Eggs shipped 8/2 from MyPetChicken to Florida. (Buff Orph)
Received on 8/4.
Placed under Broody on 8/5.
Placed in incubator on 8/7. (She sat on all the eggs - fertilized & un-fertile. Set her up in her own home, she flew the coop & left the eggs. That's when I said enough was enough.)
Now it's 8/21.

Am I on day 16 or 17? I think today is lock down?

Out of the 12 eggs ... only 2 made it by the time I placed them into the incubator. With one of them ... there is room to move about ... that one will be my delay. The other has little room & is hard to view when candling, making me believe he (praying for a he!) will born early. Can see veins but no movement. Wondering if that baby will arrive early.

Had no plans to incubate, haven't done it since last year. I'm way off my math from trying to use my wanna be broody.

Julie

Quote:
If you started on 8/5 under your broody you count up from the following day. So 8/6 would be day 1, 8/7 would be day 2....so today 8/21 is day 16.
smile.png

Quote:
Hatch day is the most nerve wracking day for me. I HAVE to find something to do with my hands or I will interfere! Best of luck on your hatch!!!

Quote:
Hatch day is the most nerve wracking day for me. I HAVE to find something to do with my hands or I will interfere! Best of luck on your hatch!!!

Thank you. I will post an update when my two boys (hopefully) peep. Very excited. And scared.

Maybe a couple of things that may help you remember. The day of the week you set chicken eggs is the day of the week they should hatch. If you set them on a Friday, they should hatch on a Friday. Since you've done it before, you probably know they can hatch a couple of days earlier or later than this theoretical hatch day, but at least this way you know what the target day is.

An egg does not have 24 hours worth of development two seconds after you put it under a broody or in an incubator. It takes 24 hours for the egg to have one days worth of development. That's why Muggsmagee's way of counting is right. It does not matter if you set them in the morning or evening. 24 hours after you start them, they have a days worth of development.

Lockdown is after 18 days worth of development. Since you started them on Friday the 5th, lockdown is Tuesday the 23rd.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom