Am I creating a mean rooster? Or is it 50/50?

I want my eyeballs to stay in place 😊 I just want to try my best in raising him right. I do understand it may not turn out the way I hope. But it is worth a try. I defiantly don't need a cuddle rooster. That is defiant;y not what I am trying to do. That is why I am so surprise of him seeming clingy. And I did not even start handling him until last week. I let them come to the hand.

I want my eyeballs to stay in place 😊 I just want to try my best in raising him right. I do understand it may not turn out the way I hope. But it is worth a try. I defiantly don't need a cuddle rooster. That is defiant;y not what I am trying to do. That is why I am so surprise of him seeming clingy. And I did not even start handling him until last week. I let them come to the hand.
You have a very good attitude about the situation and that will serve you well! I wish you the very best with your rooster. A good one is worth his weight in gold!

I've found that cockerels are much more friendly while young than hens. It's a major problem because who doesn't like a friendly cuddly young cockerel. Unfortunately this changes as they mature and if you are not aware of it and don't see it coming it is very easy to end up with a human aggressive rooster.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/understanding-your-rooster.75056/
this this this! I just made a post about teenage boys yesterday. Ah, how we never stop learning- even 23 years in to this. My cuddly Freckles, now being an attitudy jerk.

Exactly why I don't cuddle mine, and spend time observing attitudes as long as possible!
My worst ever was a hatchery bantam who started attacking at eight weeks of age! He didn't improve...
That 'in your face' attitude, confused with 'friendliness', not yet in attack mode, still isn't what I want in the youngsters.
Right now I have twelve to fifteen cockerels, eight weeks old, and one who's four weeks old, and I'm watching. In general, the young cockerels are braver and more willing to move away from mama, or hatchmates, sooner. That's fine, unless it gets them picked off by predators. Even then, the survivors have learned something. Nobody's gone so far, and nobody has been rude, and more time will pass before i decide who stays.
Mary

Personally, I'm more friendly with my male bantams than with my standards. I'm still caring towards them, but I just don't handle them quite as much in case that does make them more agflgressive. Different for every bird, yes, but I'd rather deal with a mean rooster that tends to just go at my calves than one that easily can hit me in the chest and knock me back.

I have only ever had one rooster blatantly climb on me and that was more in desperation to get away from the other birds that he was with that were twice his size. He and his brother as sweet so I'm.thinking their friendliness is more a breed thing than anything since I've never had that good of luck with two roosters at a time.

Our first rooster, long ago, was a little Belgian d'Uccle monster bird. He easily could fly up four or five feet in attack mode! We had him too long (first rooster madness on our part!) but we did learn. He moved on, finally, and NEVER AGAIN!
Mary

I have my chicks that was hatched. Right away I knew one was a rooster. He’s only two weeks old. He was so noisy in the beginning so I named him brutest the rudest.

However I’ve noticed him being very friendly to us. He steps up, onto the hands and like to perch on the arm. Very polite and jumps off to do his business. He does hold his body high all the time and proudly stands tall.

My question is , will this condition him to over run us and not have fear? Am I creating a dominant roo? I know hormones haven’t started. He is a hatchery chick that I hatched a black astroloup. I don’t know if the breed plays a difference?
My mother loves roosters, her grandfather befriended them all even though he grew up on a farm so they may be dinner the next day. Generally, having chickens perch on you is harmless and a good way to bond. My mother had a rooster named George, a leghorn, who protected his hens but respected and even loved us and would perch on her arm. He had lots of personality, was quite fun, and the best roo we ever had. He wasn't completely docile, he got into tangles with the other roos who tried to topple his flock leadership, (who she subsequently re-homed), and he fought with predators, (we think it's one of those fights with predators that killed him). But he was never aggressive to people unless he felt they were threatening his hens, and that didn't include us just hanging around them and picking them up. I think roosters have a bad rap, and like dogs it has alot to do with how you raise them. If you handle them more they'll be generally less aggressive because they'll be used to being handled, not more. We did have a really mean rooster named Cheif, but I don't think we raised him from a chick and he was a breed that's known to be aggressive, and I don't think he liked to be held and he certainly didn't perch on anyones shoulder! Those roosters that are handled less tend to be MORE aggressive in my experiance, and docile roosters are certainly a thing.

Back
Top Bottom