Am I doing a dumb thing, feeding chicks by hand?

Quote:
Im grumpy every morning. I work nights and so by morning time and checking my BYC, yes, Im grumpy. I need to monitor myself with editing so as not to offend TOO much...

gig.gif
That would make me grumpy too. See? This is why you are cool. You are able to self edit.
big_smile.png
I bet you wite alot of stuff and delete it befoe you post it too, huh, huh?
gig.gif

If elderoo wasn't grumpy, I'd think he was playing a trick on all of us!
wink.png

For some reason, I think of him as a crochety old grandpa with a cane who is only grumpy to disguise his softer side. Ha ha ha.
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

I'd keep integrating the chicks and the kids. They're going to be together for awhile and need a healthy respect of EACH OTHER. Gentle handling, both of them.

Good luck.

And PS: Elderoo - I still highly value your opinions, grumpy or not...
smile.png

IMG_2810.jpg

Quote:
Ha! I already have tough hands, I'm a horsegirl.
smile.png
It is my kids and guests I worry about. I want the most polite chickens possible.
gig.gif

well , this might sound silly , infact I still wonder if this has merit or not .

I read where ONLY the owners should be handling the chickens and walking into their coop or run area . Others carry in stuff on their shoes and handling them the least is always a plus . I have 29 teens and 7 hens . my hubby and I do pet them and sit with them inside their run area , BUT we do not allow kids into the run or coop area . We have an area for them to sit outside the run area to watch the chickens eat and play . I know to each his or her own , just we seen alot of chickens get colds/ etc. from alot of stuff , esp. hadling them . ONCE 1 in flock gets sick , it spreads quick . . They also have alot of respitory problems that can develop . ALSO , I read in BYC that handling them alot will desrupt the laying .

I read where ONLY the owners should be handling the chickens and walking into their coop or run area . Others carry in stuff on their shoes and handling them the least is always a plus . I have 29 teens and 7 hens . my hubby and I do pet them and sit with them inside their run area , BUT we do not allow kids into the run or coop area . We have an area for them to sit outside the run area to watch the chickens eat and play . I know to each his or her own , just we seen alot of chickens get colds/ etc. from alot of stuff , esp. hadling them . ONCE 1 in flock gets sick , it spreads quick . . They also have alot of respitory problems that can develop . ALSO , I read in BYC that handling them alot will desrupt the laying .

Totally agree with this! We keep our chicken shoes outside the run area and only use them for inside the coop plus we have a bucket outside with bleach water mixture for our shoes before we got in they get a rinse. I couldn't keep the kids away
sad.png
they would be to sad and I want them to get to hold them too...it's a lot more work but I only have ONE so it's not so bad. My older teens know what to do on their own.​

Back
Top Bottom