9 Years
Apr 16, 2010
i have 6 chickens

1 border rock
1 cochin
2 polish
1 easter egger
1 silky bantam

in a 6x4 run and a house thats 6x4 with 6 nesting boxes and like 3 6ft pols for them to set on. they have access to organic food and watter all the time it like 55 to 65 out they are all 6 1/2 months old but only 2 are laying but they lay every day

am i doing sum thing wrong or do i need to wait longer

thank you

Agreed! Plus with it being winter and the day light hours are shorter, production can decrease. So any that have not yet started laying, may not lay until spring.

Ms.FuzzyButts :

Agreed! Plus with it being winter and the day light hours are shorter, production can decrease. So any that have not yet started laying, may not lay until spring.

x2​

Add artificial light.
Aim to extend your day to 16 hours of light.
Do it gradually, add 1/2 hour extra per day so that you don't trigger anything like a sudden moult or broodiness.

I have found that taking a bucket from KFC into the coop and having a little chat with the girls really gets their attention...
idunno.gif

Polish, silkies, and perhaps even the EE (depending on heritage) and cochin are not production type birds. They are more affected by daylength than some of the true "production" type birds. You can add supplemental lighting to get their daylength up to 14 hours or you can wait until spring.
lol.png
You did nothing wrong except perhaps in your selection of breeds if egg production was your primary goal.

Back
Top Bottom