Am I doing something wrong?

Hens Solo

Songster
Nov 6, 2019
LaFayette Georgia
Here's my problem. I've got at least 10 10 week old female cotournix and I've got no eggs yet. I even bought a couple proven producers from a farm in Georgia. They laid for 2 days and stopped. I'm feeding them 28% game bird feed and they appear healthy. There have been nightly predators beneath their pen. Should I expect some egg production in the next few weeks?

They pretty much always stop laying when they get moved to a new home. How long has it been since they quit laying? It can take a month or more for them to start back. How much light are they getting? They need 14 to 16 hours of light to lay. The predators are definitely not helping the situation and could posdibly be the entire problem but quite a few of mine laid through my raccoon troubles....

Last edited:
They pretty much always stop laying when they get moved to a new home. How long has it been since they quit laying? It can take a month or more for them to start back. How much light are they getting? They need 14 to 16 hours of light to lay. The predators are definitely not helping the situation and could posdibly be the entire problem but quite a few of mine laid through my raccoon troubles....
Thanks
Basically I agree with you. I'm starting up a quail operation with about 70 laying hens. I have markets for the eggs but all the new cages and transitions are limiting production now. I will be patient and hope that in a couple of months I start getting consistent laying.

Are you giving them plenty of calcium? My quail need access to crushed oyster shell in order to lay. Give them enough and they'll start drowning you with eggs.

Myshire Farm just released a video on their feed. They feed 27% starter until 8-10 weeks then transition to a 17% protein with 3.5% calcium for the layers. He said the protein is not as important and the calcium is the most important for mature egg laying birds...

This could be part of my problem

Attachments

• DSCF0008.JPG
    DSCF0008.JPG
    333.1 KB · Views: 19

Back
Top Bottom