Am I doing this right?

pek

Songster
10 Years
Nov 26, 2009
Rhode Island
Hi!!!!!!! We got six eggs from Gabbard Farms, we have a homemade incubator that is (in the beginning 92* but it heated up to) 95*-101* and has 50% humity, we just candled the eggs on day 19 and only one has someone in it. Is this normal? Did I get eggs from the wrong place? Am I doing something wrong? Is this the wrong time to do it? November in Southern New England? Is there a breed that is easier to hatch?
Thanks!

Either the eggs were not fertile or the temp was to low to start out so the embryos didn't develop. The Ideal temp is 99ºF - 100ºF. Humidity for the first 18 days should be around 35% to 40% this is also affected by the climate and where you live. I live in Florida so we have higher humidity usually. On day 18 when I stop turning my eggs I raise the humidity to 65% to 70%. This is just what I do where I live. I have RIRs, RIWs and BOs. I do hatch for a friend BR, Blue Rocks, RIRs, Dels, sometimes some EEs BSLs.

First off, shipped eggs are a gamble no matter where you get them. Second, if this is a new incubator and your first time, best to start with eggs not shipped. 95-100 is a rather large swing in heating and likly has delayed the hatch. If it has sat more than 2 deg too low for more than a day or two... they might not make it. If you do not have a fan in there, 100 is too low, you needed about 101.5 at the top of the eggs.

I would make sure you can hold your incubator temps at 101.5 if no fan, 99.5 with fan, + or - one or two deg for a week first. Then, I would get local eggs that do not have to go through the gamble of shipping. Once you get the incubator worked out, then worry about using shipped eggs.

Sounds like you started out with 2 strikes against you. Shipped eggs and a new bator. Try to hatch some local eggs first and adjust the bator. When you have hatched a few batches , then try some shipped eggs. Its tricky, but sometimes worth it. Good luck and don't give up.
big_smile.png

A fan is not necessary but it does help keep the heat more even and stable. Still air incubators have cool spots and hot spots. I bought a fan through Amazon.com and it came from IncubatorWarehouse.com.

Back
Top Bottom