Less than half of fertile eggs are developing

Allisona53

Hatching
Mar 8, 2024
Hi! First time incubating chicken eggs. I bought 12 fertilized eggs from a local farmer. I put them in the incubator after letting them rest on the counter for 8 hours. My temp has been at 100.5 and humidity at 50%. I candled them yesterday at day 5. It seems like 5 of them are developing with proper veining, one has a blood ring, and the other 6 are either duds or just a big shadow and can’t see anything. For some reason I expected more development than 50% of the eggs from farm fresh eggs. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks for your input!

Embryo and veining from one of the successful ones so far 🤞🏼

Attachments

• IMG_8114.jpeg
    IMG_8114.jpeg
    254.9 KB · Views: 6
There is never any guarantee that an egg will be fertile, unfortunately. You seem to be doing everything right, although I would lower the temperature just a touch.
Thank you for your response!! I was following the instructions on another website but after furthering researching on here I’ll lower to 99.5. I hope I haven’t overheated them

Welcome to BYC!

Do you have a separate calibrated thermometer and hygrometer in the incubator? The built in ones are almost always off, which means that the temp could actually be much higher or lower than you think. It's also possible for your incubator to have hot and cold spots, which can cause the eggs to develop differently. If everything seems fine with your incubator, it's probably due to the eggs being unfertilized, too old, or had a rough trip.

Best of luck with your hatch and let us know if you have any more questions!

Back
Top Bottom