Am I giving my hen dewormer correctly?

Dec 21, 2021
I have been recently giving one of my hens fenbendazole orally. I've heard and read that dewormer should be used sparingly and I never have had to deworm hens in the past.. but I think there is very good reason to think she has worms. She seems to be doing better already after just a day, so I do hope that it is the fenbendazole at work and not just coincidence. I question this because I have only been able to put it on her tongue and it looks like she swallows it. All instruction I have seen has said to shoot the medicine right down the right side of her throat but I am far too hesitant to do this. Can I assume that she is swallowing the medicine and that its fine or am I wasting the effort by not doing this " correctly " ?

Are you giving her Safeguard liquid goat wormer? How much?
Does she eat bread? If so, squirt the dose into bread and feed it to her that way.
Yes, 0.40 ml. I've read I should give it to her for five days. She is very picky about food right now, and when I started giving the dewormer to her she wouldn't eat anything at all. I can try with bread, but I doubt she will eat it.

Yes, 0.40 ml. I've read I should give it to her for five days. She is very picky about food right now, and when I started giving the dewormer to her she wouldn't eat anything at all. I can try with bread, but I doubt she will eat it.
How much does she weight?
What makes you think she has worms?
What have you been feeding her?
How old is she?
Can you take a clear picture of fresh poop?

I have been recently giving one of my hens fenbendazole orally. I've heard and read that dewormer should be used sparingly and I never have had to deworm hens in the past.. but I think there is very good reason to think she has worms. She seems to be doing better already after just a day, so I do hope that it is the fenbendazole at work and not just coincidence. I question this because I have only been able to put it on her tongue and it looks like she swallows it. All instruction I have seen has said to shoot the medicine right down the right side of her throat but I am far too hesitant to do this. Can I assume that she is swallowing the medicine and that its fine or am I wasting the effort by not doing this " correctly " ?

If she won't eat the bread, then you'll have to direct oral dose her. Instructions along with photos are in the link below.

Your hen weighs how much? Less than 2lbs if you are only giving a 0.40ml dose, correct?

She's not eating much, when was the last time she laid an egg? Is her crop emptying overnight?

If you can provide more info about symptoms, along with photos of your hen and her poop these would be helpful and we may be able to offer more suggestions.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

How much does she weight?
What makes you think she has worms?
What have you been feeding her?
How old is she?
Can you take a clear picture of fresh poop?
Less than 2 lbs. She is only a little more than a year old. I have been feeding her (and all my hens) layer feed, oyster shells, I give them grit also, and often give them dry cat food as a treat because they love it, as well as from time to time some rice, fruit etc.
If she won't eat the bread, then you'll have to direct oral dose her. Instructions along with photos are in the link below.

Your hen weighs how much? Less than 2lbs if you are only giving a 0.40ml dose, correct?

She's not eating much, when was the last time she laid an egg? Is her crop emptying overnight?

If you can provide more info about symptoms, along with photos of your hen and her poop these would be helpful and we may be able to offer more suggestions.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/
I have been - today is the fourth dose - giving her the doses by putting the liquid Safeguard on her tongue a bit at a time until she's taken it all. She is swallowing it. I read through those instructions but I was too unsure of myself to put the syringe in her mouth and shoot the medicine directly in her throat. Yes, she weighs only almost 2 lbs. She is very thin now. I don't know the last time she has laid an egg, but at least not in the last 4 days. Initially I thought that all of my hens had sour crop - all of them had liquid in their crops and some of them were on the larger side. But when I check their crops in the very early morning they are empty. I called the only local vet who would give me the time of day for a chicken and she told me to give them apple cider vinegar in their water anyway. Maybe only a day later I had to bring this hen inside the house because she looked terrible (couldn't stand up, very pale) and got to a point that she refused to eat anything and was only drinking water. Her crop was empty. I figure now that I was wrong about the sour crop. I started giving her the dewormer and she is doing much better. This hen has been losing feathers for a long while now. My thoughts are that she may have been losing feathers, and having issues with her crop because of worms (this would also go for the other hens if I am right, I guess). I've been feeding her rice and cooked scrambled egg, and now slowly reintroducing her layer feed w grit and oyster shells. I will get some photos either today or tomorrow. Thank you both for your replies.
Also, she is an Ameraucana.

Edit: I should add that I don't think she is egg bound. I could be wrong, but she isn't waddling at all and the last hen that was egg bound never stopped eating and wasn't so thin. But of course I may be wrong about her having worms and am all ears for any other suggestions of what it may be.

Less than 2 lbs. She is only a little more than a year old. I have been feeding her (and all my hens) layer feed, oyster shells, I give them grit also, and often give them dry cat food as a treat because they love it, as well as from time to time some rice, fruit etc.

I have been - today is the fourth dose - giving her the doses by putting the liquid Safeguard on her tongue a bit at a time until she's taken it all. She is swallowing it. I read through those instructions but I was too unsure of myself to put the syringe in her mouth and shoot the medicine directly in her throat. Yes, she weighs only almost 2 lbs. She is very thin now. I don't know the last time she has laid an egg, but at least not in the last 4 days. Initially I thought that all of my hens had sour crop - all of them had liquid in their crops and some of them were on the larger side. But when I check their crops in the very early morning they are empty. I called the only local vet who would give me the time of day for a chicken and she told me to give them apple cider vinegar in their water anyway. Maybe only a day later I had to bring this hen inside the house because she looked terrible (couldn't stand up, very pale) and got to a point that she refused to eat anything and was only drinking water. Her crop was empty. I figure now that I was wrong about the sour crop. I started giving her the dewormer and she is doing much better. This hen has been losing feathers for a long while now. My thoughts are that she may have been losing feathers, and having issues with her crop because of worms (this would also go for the other hens if I am right, I guess). I've been feeding her rice and cooked scrambled egg, and now slowly reintroducing her layer feed w grit and oyster shells. I will get some photos either today or tomorrow. Thank you both for your replies.
Also, she is an Ameraucana.

Edit: I should add that I don't think she is egg bound. I could be wrong, but she isn't waddling at all and the last hen that was egg bound never stopped eating and wasn't so thin. But of course I may be wrong about her having worms and am all ears for any other suggestions of what it may be.
Can you post a picture of her real quick? How she looks right now.

Can you post a picture of her real quick? How she looks right now.

IMG_5367 (4).jpg
IMG_5372 (2).JPG

(floor censored because of numbers and addresses on local newspaper)
The chicken and her poop

She is eating a little of layer feed, mostly she wants to eat white rice (cooked of course). I was giving it to her because I thought it would be easier to digest while she is getting over whatever this is and she eats a good bit of it. Her crop is small but feels normal. She has access to oyster shell and grit. I've seen her poking at the oyster shell but I don't think she's eating it.

Back
Top Bottom