Am I giving them enough?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Suzannah, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Suzannah

Suzannah Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2010
    Georgia
    I give my two girls a standard layer crumble, plus they have ground to scratch. Occasionally they get a tomato or some bread, but other than that I don't do calcium or minerals or anything else. Is that enough? The eggs are delicious and have a good shell, and the girls seem happy and peaceful. Am I missing something?

Also, if I get more layers of about the same age, how long do I need to keep them separated before they can all hang together?

TIA!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  2. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    I am getting ready to add in four girls to my flock...well not into my flock but with one of my roosters in a different pen.

I have been advised to quarantine for 30 days. In a different location. So I have a chicken tractor the new girls will be in away from everyone else. I fear both introducing something into my current flock as well as the new ones possibly getting something from my flock. So I am going to stick with the 30 days and watch them closely. Also, you feed and water them last after you do your current ones.

I have everything ready and am picking up my new girls tomorrow. I hope I do this right myself. Do a search on introducing new members to your flock. You'll find a lot of information that way for sure.

Good luck.....

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  3. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:No--you're doing it just right--as long as the eggs have a good shell the birds are getting enough calcium in the layer or soil.

4. Suzannah

Suzannah Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2010
    Georgia
    Thank you! Just trying to keep it simple and easy, but I want them to be happy and healthy, too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by