1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Am I going to have to hunt for nests all spring long?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by r4eboxer, Mar 7, 2012.

1. r4eboxer

r4eboxer Crooked Creek Poultry

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    It seems my geese are getting smart to my egg stealing. They have been laying in the thick layer of hay I have covering my strawberry plants. DH built two very nice goose houses for them and they have laid eggs there too. I found an egg in the strawberry patch yesterday and again today. Now I have a gander sitting on a nest under one of my raised buildings. Will they keep moving their nests like this? I'm tired of hunting eggs but I don't want to pen them up as they are great foragers and free range.

2. The goose girl

The goose girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    Last season (her first) my goose built three different nests before she was finally happy with her fourth nest location. Maybe your geese are trying out different locations to find their perfect spot?

Geese may move their nests if all their eggs get "stolen". I left a golf ball in my goose's nest to trick her into thinking there's always an egg there - she accepts it as an egg; turns it and piles up hay on it to hide it and keep it warm. Supposedly, geese can't count, so they won't go "hey, what happened to the rest of my eggs?".

Most of my goose's eggs she lays in her nest. But once in a while it seems an egg catches her by surprise and she'll just lay it whereever she happens to hang out. Most of these stray eggs are shellless. But usually she wants to go to her nest when she needs to lay an egg. When she's at her goosesitter's - a friend of mine - she'll start honking incessantly and try to lead him to his bicycle. He has learned that that means she wants to go home. When he has followed her home, she then heads straight for her nest.

3. rarely bored

rarely bored Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2011
    Central California
    That's amazing!

4. AlaskaChicks

AlaskaChicks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2012

agreed! too cool :)

5. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    That just shows how intelligent geese can be and how powerful maternal instinct can be. Great story [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by