Am I helping or hurting? I

OklaSteve

Chirping
May 16, 2022
Northeast Oklahoma
So I have only been raising chickens for about a year and have a lot of questions. However, my first question isn’t even about my chickens. I live on about 5 acres which is pretty much the norm for around here. My neighbor has some hens and roosters that they free range. I mean completely free range, no coop, no feed, no continuous source of water, etc. Last night my German Shepherd brought me a chick that was only a few days old. Yes she had it in her mouth and dropped it in my lap. I got up with the baby chick and took it outside to investigate. I found one of my neighbors hens bedded down up against my fence for my dog. Now I do not want nor need these chicks but I hate to see them get injured or eaten by a coyote. So if you are still with me here is my question. Would it be wrong for me to open up a small moveable coop so the mama and her babies can have somewhere to go at night. I don’t know if they will even be willing to use it but I would like to give them all the best chance I can. What do you think?

I had to relax my crossed brow, lol, just not understanding the neighbor's objective in even having chickens when it's clearly not egg collection or meat source. I know that feral cats and chickens roam Hawaii but.... Okay moving on.... Sounds like you're not really going to take up the situation in convo with the neighbor so yeah, what harm could there be in throwing a little security option out there for the poor chickie momma. AND THEN what harm could there be in you adopting the chickie's you saved IF you wanted to. I mean is neighbor going to care or notice? Also, what a great dog you have!!! My Leonberger is that type too, but it's a rare beautiful dog trait.

If it were me I’d definitely open up the coop. but If you can, let your neighbor know. My three girls came to me under similar circumstances. My neighbor got four chickens to add to his flock. His girls weren’t welcoming to the new hens at all. They wouldn‘t allow the new hens in their coop so they ended up roosting in one of his trees and would come to our yard during the day. Something got one of the hens during the night. There was nothing left but a pile of white feather, so to keep the rest safe we went out and bought a coop. We never had chickens before. My neighbor is very happy the girls have a safe new home. And we love being new chicken parent!! you are very kind to want to help the new chicks.

So I have only been raising chickens for about a year and have a lot of questions. However, my first question isn’t even about my chickens. I live on about 5 acres which is pretty much the norm for around here. My neighbor has some hens and roosters that they free range. I mean completely free range, no coop, no feed, no continuous source of water, etc. Last night my German Shepherd brought me a chick that was only a few days old. Yes she had it in her mouth and dropped it in my lap. I got up with the baby chick and took it outside to investigate. I found one of my neighbors hens bedded down up against my fence for my dog. Now I do not want nor need these chicks but I hate to see them get injured or eaten by a coyote. So if you are still with me here is my question. Would it be wrong for me to open up a small moveable coop so the mama and her babies can have somewhere to go at night. I don’t know if they will even be willing to use it but I ppwould like to give them all the best chance I can. What do you think?
I would build chickens an alternate refuge even though they are not your's. Your shepherd knew her job. "Care for my peeps". Now I'm gonna cry cuz Chilla was so much better than I am.

I had to relax my crossed brow, lol, just not understanding the neighbor's objective in even having chickens when it's clearly not egg collection or meat source. I know that feral cats and chickens roam Hawaii but.... Okay moving on.... Sounds like you're not really going to take up the situation in convo with the neighbor so yeah, what harm could there be in throwing a little security option out there for the poor chickie momma. AND THEN what harm could there be in you adopting the chickie's you saved IF you wanted to. I mean is neighbor going to care or notice? Also, what a great dog you have!!! My Leonberger is that type too, but it's a rare beautiful dog trait.
I really don’t understand what the purpose of having chickens is when you literally don’t do anything with them. The last thing I need right now is more chicks or chickens. I have 5 Rhode Island Red hens that produce more eggs than I need. I also added 16 chicks (females) this year. Not for eggs or even meat but just because I enjoy them. What eggs I don’t eat I give away. It works well for me because normally I get a bag of feed every month from those I give eggs to. Didn’t ask for it but I’m always up for a good trade. As far as talking to the neighbors about it, sadly that would be a no. I am not going to talk bad about anyone but if I was they would be a great place to start. My dog is a solid black imported Czechoslovakian German Shepherd and just mean as all get out. But I have taught her not to hurt anything if I tell her it is mine. While raising my chicks I would let her sniff and gently kiss the chicks while I would tell her they were my chickens. I honestly didn’t think it worked that well.

I
If it were me I’d definitely open up the coop. but If you can, let your neighbor know. My three girls came to me under similar circumstances. My neighbor got four chickens to add to his flock. His girls weren’t welcoming to the new hens at all. They wouldn‘t allow the new hens in their coop so they ended up roosting in one of his trees and would come to our yard during the day. Something got one of the hens during the night. There was nothing left but a pile of white feather, so to keep the rest safe we went out and bought a coop. We never had chickens before. My neighbor is very happy the girls have a safe new home. And we love being new chicken parent!! you are very kind to want to help the new chicks.
tried talking to him about a few other things and he isn’t… let’s just say normal. His entire family is mad because I am clearing brush and cleaning up my place because they won’t have as much privacy. I could go on for a few hours but the short answer when it comes to talking to the neighbors is simply not possible.

As for providing shelter, I'd say go for it if you have the means to do so. You certainly aren't hurting anything and these chickens seem to be in a dire situation to begin with. You'd just be providing a little bit of help to them.

As for the neighbors, I'd have to wonder if they even know they have chickens? I genuinely don't know how someone can have chickens and no coop or feed. I'd expect them to wander off and become someone elses chickens, or be killed off. Maybe these just kinda wandered onto their property and stayed?

I'd probably talk to the neighbor and ask if they need help with the chickens. Maybe in getting them set up with a proper shelter, or maybe in getting them rehomed.

I would build chickens an alternate refuge even though they are not your's. Your shepherd knew her job. "Care for my peeps". Now I'm gonna cry cuz Chilla was so much better than I am.
They ended
I

tried talking to him about a few other things and he isn’t… let’s just say normal. His entire family is mad because I am clearing brush and cleaning up my place because they won’t have as much privacy. I could go on for a few hours but the short answer when it comes to talking to the neighbors is simply not possible.
oh, that stinks!!!! I’m so sorry you have one of those neighbors. Do you think you will let them into your coop?

Back
Top Bottom