Am I missing anything for my coop plans?

I don't know if the deep litter method is for me...I have to make sure that the coop doesn't smell to bad...it's the one stipulation my neighbor had.
DLM doesn't smell at all. It's actually proven to be better ( @lazy gardener knows her stuff about it).
If you live where it gets below freezing regularly I would insulate.
I would make sure you Have external nest boxes to save space.
Make it walk in or you will regret it, trust me.

Please keep your thread going and show the progress. Looks like you are really trying to think of everything. I had some failures and some wins with my first coop and you will too. One thing to keep in mind is your purpose for having BYCs. If you want eggs I would get a roll away nest (keeps eggs cleaner and stops egg eaters). Some people use nipples waterers but since we live in the North I prefer the 30 gallon tin one you get at TSC and I switch to a heated hanging one in the winter. I had an issue with my first door design and had to change it due to not accounting for the dirt buildup in slot I use at night and the fact that the chickens liked to roost on it even in the day. Both of my coops are walk in and I prefer that because I want my chickens accustomed to my family gathering eggs and giving them treats. Like I said everyone is different. I have noticed some people designing the coop so you do not have to get in it at all and that is a no go for us. My chickens are for my whole family to interact with and even when we are on vacation my Dad and Mom enjoy gathering eggs and feeding treats. Good Luck!
I will try ... I'm only at the planning stage at the moment

DLM doesn't smell at all. It's actually proven to be better ( @lazy gardener knows her stuff about it).
If you live where it gets below freezing regularly I would insulate.
I would make sure you Have external nest boxes to save space.
Make it walk in or you will regret it, trust me.
down here in the south it almost never gets below freezing...its the heat u have to worry about! It can get in the hundreds.

:welcome

Hello, and welcome to chickens! You'll find lots of great people here that will give you great advice!

You'll never regret making it a walk in. Bigger is always better, especially when it comes to chicken math.

In your area, with the heat, ventilation is very important. You're going to want at least 1 square foot per bird, and more is better. Make sure all vents are covered with hardware cloth, not chicken wire. Chicken wire won't keep predators out. Maybe check out a Woods coop - there are a lot of people that love them.

Also, plan on at least 4 sq feet of coop per chicken in the coop, and 10 square feet each in the run. Build bigger than what you will need for what you are planning on getting now, to give you room to add more later.

Welcome, there is a lot of great advice her on BYC. I recommend browsing the other coop and run setups for some great ideas.
As for the smell, also think about free range space or run space. Deep litter can definitely work too.
We live in Australia and have 7 girls..... smell isn’t an issue for us in the heat. It is really if you let the worst build up too much. We do a scoop once a week out of the coop, General scoop of any large areas in the run and drop it into the compost (also located within the run area). We follow with a top up of hemp, straw, pine shavings or dry mulch.
Complete clean and refresh we do in Autumn and Spring.

Back
Top Bottom