Am I obligated to give him his money back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nupine

Songster
12 Years
Nov 21, 2007
Ohio
Ok, I recently set up an auction for Delaware eggs here on byc. It was for 12+ eggs. They sold and I packed them like this-each egg was wrapped once in small bubble wrap. The bottom of the box was filled with a layer of packing peanuts. I placed a 12'' by 24'' piece of large bubble wrap in the box on top of the packing peanuts and placed the eggs on one half of the large bubble wrap, then folded the other half on top of the eggs. I then filled the rest of the box, including about 2'' on each side of the bubble wrapped bundle of eggs. I filled the whole box with packing peanuts, but it wasn't bulging. I think I did a pretty good job, this how I usually ship eggs. I have now recieved 3-4 pms and paypal requests form the buyer that I need to refund all of the money! He said 7 out of the 13 were broken and he threw out the others for the fear of contamination. He is basically demanding his money back, although I don't feel it was my fault. I pmed him explaining that I am very upset and will discuss this with my family whether or not I will refund his money. What do you guys think I should do?
Ashlyn

First, how were they sent? UPS? Where are his pictures showing the damage, where is the form he would have to fill out with the shipper claiming damaged goods?
Thare are Claim forms and rules in place by all the shipping outfits that are in place to cover cases just like this.
As far as PayPal, they also have a procedure in place to protect both the Seller and the Buyer, it is up to the Buyer, in this instence to prove that the shipment was damaged!

This is a tough situation. For me when I sell my eggs-I tell epople in the autction that if the eggs arrived damaged-I want to see a photo-its that easy. If they are all broken -full refund-some broken?? partial refund and if they choose not to incubate the rest that falls on their hands-how about another dozen sent for free and they pay shipping???

Can you send him replacement eggs? Did he take a picture of the eggs unpacked and broken? It sounds as if you had them packed really well. That's how mine were packed, individually in bubble wrap, and there wasn't a crack anywhere to be found.
hmm.png

They were shipped Priority by USPS. He did not send me pictures showing the damage, he is just pming me about how he wants him money back. He just pmed me again and told me what a terrible shipper I am and inexperienced I am and how I need to see ''real shippers'' do it.

He told me I must put at least 1 inch of newspaper between each egg, or else they will hit each other even if they are bubble wrapped well.
hmm.png
I just pmed him that I need pictures

Last edited:
Sounds like a Scammer IMHO, don't let their insults force you to refund/replace anything, from the description of your packing job, you are not a rookie at the shipping! The Buyer is the one that needs to see how the pro's do it. USPS DOES have Damaged goods forms, that the Buyer needed to fill out!

A lot of sellers just offer the next batch for the price of shipping only. I know it definitely is a major let down to receive broken eggs, but it happens. I think he needs to show you proof - i.e. - pics. I'm an amateur buyer but I know that broken eggs are bound to happen no matter how you package them, so I have my camera ready to show proof of the damage, it happens. JMHO

Edited for spelling.
tongue.png

Last edited:
Well if he is going to be rude I might consider telling him to [edited for language]
but what I would do is just ship more eggs. I like to re-inforce the box, I take another box break it down and line the first box with it. this way the box is very strong and does not bend or dent easily. I think the weakest point is the box itself when you make it stronger it can handle the tossing and banging better. then the way you wrapped them sounds fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom