Am I overfeeding my ducklings?

Please! We love to hear duck-stories and see pictures and videos! :fl :hugs
20200626_083453.jpg
this was the cuddle scene this morning post 6 am dip in the kiddie pool...

Hardware cloth is the only material that will keep out predators chicken fencing only keeps the birds in no predators out.
I need to probably put this up at least in the bird corner (which is currently only protected by the hedge/chainlink fence on one side and chicken wire and netting on the other three sides and top), right? The current "protection" is only meant to keep chickens in that corner when needed. Ive read that ducks like to sleep outside and Im trying to train them to go into their coop, considering the predators. But what usually happens is that I find them at the back door, and then we have a cuddle and I carry them to the coop. If I leave the back door open, they will flop right into the house, navigate through the kitchen and living room (amazingly, they have never pooped on the hardwood floor), go into the shower and wait! So, me bringing them to the coop is already an improvement. It was similar with the chicks, and eventially they just went to the coop on their own. Since this week, if the ducks try to overnight in the house, I take them to their bed. I can send pictures of them navigating around tne dog and cat.

Anyway, protection. Im worried that when they are adult ducks, they might refuse to go into the coop and instead hide somewhere in the yard, in a bush or hedge area. I should probably herd them at least into an outdoor area that is protected with this cloth stuff, as you suggest. I wonder what the name of that is in german (hint @WannaBeHillBilly). Do you think that cloth would work on/in front of a chainlink fence or do I have to dig it into the ground a bit in case of digging predators? I could build a wooden frame but that doesnt cover the hedge side..oh boy....I smell another project coming on!

Oh oh oh!!! They have that here! I have no idea what it's called, but I know I can get it and just maybe that is even what my neighbor used to make her daytime yard duck/goose cage.

Do you recommend digging it into the ground?

Also, I just remembered that I have an eglu run that I could put somewhere in the brush, but as it has a wide wire frame, I would have wrap it up in that cloth. But then the ducks could sleep in there if they wanted. It has a door that I could close but it would be much more outside-ish. Its enclosed but not from light..or wind....or rain. It can also be attached to the pink coop if I put it on the ground....mmmmm then they could go in the coop or stay in the run at night. If this cloth stuff is reliable, I see some other options now...thanks so much!:D

Yeah, I looked it again this morning looking at the ducks just so desperately looking for worms. Then, I found that I would have to bring the worms inside in the winter. We have some zealous rats and very crafty wild birds here, and Im not even.sure they would be safe outside in the summer. I suggested we keep them in the häuschen, but that didnt go over well with kids...because, what if they got out and wormed-up the garden furniture or toys??? Ugg..Overall, if I could find a place outside that were safe for at least 6 to 8 months of the year, my kids thought a worm farm would be cool. They also argued that since I have been known to bring the birds, sometimes the whole eglu coop depending on how wild the wind or storm is, into the house, or do "experiments" in the kitchen, or shower with the ducks, there was the chance that the worms wouldnt leave and might take up more space than I promised. So, there was just too much esistance today....I need a plan and maybe I still have a chance to convince them.

Speaking of beavers...someone told me today that there is a creature swimming around with the ducks in the Bonner Rheinaue, coming up and hoping to eat out of your hand. Its apparently called a Water Rat "wasserrate", and they claim its from south america. I looked up a picture and they have a slighlt familiar face of a beaver, teeth and all. I never knew ducks would be friends or in wormy cahoots with beavers or water rodents!
Yikes that sounds like what we call a Nutria. I will go look for a picture.

Yeah, I looked it again this morning looking at the ducks just so desperately looking for worms. Then, I found that I would have to bring the worms inside in the winter. We have some zealous rats and very crafty wild birds here, and Im not even.sure they would be safe outside in the summer. I suggested we keep them in the häuschen, but that didnt go over well with kids...because, what if they got out and wormed-up the garden furniture or toys??? Ugg..Overall, if I could find a place outside that were safe for at least 6 to 8 months of the year, my kids thought a worm farm would be cool. They also argued that since I have been known to bring the birds, sometimes the whole eglu coop depending on how wild the wind or storm is, into the house, or do "experiments" in the kitchen, or shower with the ducks, there was the chance that the worms wouldnt leave and might take up more space than I promised. So, there was just too much esistance today....I need a plan and maybe I still have a chance to convince them.

Speaking of beavers...someone told me today that there is a creature swimming around with the ducks in the Bonner Rheinaue, coming up and hoping to eat out of your hand. Its apparently called a Water Rat "wasserrate", and they claim its from south america. I looked up a picture and they have a slighlt familiar face of a beaver, teeth and all. I never knew ducks would be friends or in wormy cahoots with beavers or water rodents!
did it look like this? https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/mammals/n/nutria/

I need to probably put this up at least in the bird corner (which is currently only protected by the hedge/chainlink fence on one side and chicken wire and netting on the other three sides and top), right? The current "protection" is only meant to keep chickens in that corner when needed. Ive read that ducks like to sleep outside and Im trying to train them to go into their coop, considering the predators. But what usually happens is that I find them at the back door, and then we have a cuddle and I carry them to the coop. If I leave the back door open, they will flop right into the house, navigate through the kitchen and living room (amazingly, they have never pooped on the hardwood floor), go into the shower and wait! So, me bringing them to the coop is already an improvement. It was similar with the chicks, and eventially they just went to the coop on their own. Since this week, if the ducks try to overnight in the house, I take them to their bed. I can send pictures of them navigating around tne dog and cat.

Anyway, protection. Im worried that when they are adult ducks, they might refuse to go into the coop and instead hide somewhere in the yard, in a bush or hedge area. I should probably herd them at least into an outdoor area that is protected with this cloth stuff, as you suggest. I wonder what the name of that is in german (hint @WannaBeHillBilly). Do you think that cloth would work on/in front of a chainlink fence or do I have to dig it into the ground a bit in case of digging predators? I could build a wooden frame but that doesnt cover the hedge side..oh boy....I smell another project coming on!
It took me a while and my friend Google came up empty-handed, but my other friend Amazonia now wants to sell me »Wühlmausdraht«, »Schweissgittermatten«, »Volierendraht« and »Kaninchendraht«… But that stuff is even more expensive in Germany than here! :mad:
And yes, Ducks love to sleep outside, i assume Muscovies are the same, and you will need to develop a routine to make them go into their house every evening.
Here this usually starts after sunset, when Blanca Duck approaches the porch, stating that she is "sooo hungry" and "didn't find a single bit to eat the whole day.« After a while Pompom Duck joins her, then Earthquack, Pinball, Smaug and Pommes too quack the hunger-song. In the end 17 quacking ducks and eight rasping drakes make a deafening noise, so i grab the flower box (Balkonkasten) and prepare their supper-bowl with cold water, sunflower seeds, dry cat food, cracked corn, whatever greens i have at hand and whatever kitchen scraps we have.
I carefully step in between the piranha ducks, lower the bowl so they can test their dinner and then say »Alle Enten gehen jetzt schlafen!« and start walking towards the duck house. All ducks then start running into the house to secure a good spot at the dinner - bowl and usually when i step out of the house all ducks are inside and i only have to close the door.
Ducks can be trained to do obey simple commands, but careful: They can also train their humons to obey simple quacks…

Here is the chicken, er, duck sleeping house (repurposed chicken coop with a flat piece of plastic inside to block out the roosting bars, straw, and water dish). Ugh, the chickens dont want to go to bed...darn late german sunsets! It's almost 10pm!
ive read that racoons could open an eglu coop by pulling up this black thing, but we dont have racoons here, I think.
If you don't have Raccoons over there in St. Augustin consider yourself lucky!!!
They are a menace and the arch enemy of ducks and chickens. People her in WV call them trash-pandas. We had to buy a raccoon proof trash-can, they plundered our standard trash-can (with a hinged lid!) twice and it was such a "joy" to hunt down our trash from the side of the road… And i have already lost three ducks to them. They are clever enough to open simple latches or lock-bolts, so i have a latch, secured with a carabiner - even i am struggling to open it...

Back
Top Bottom