Am I paying too much?

musikfan6

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 16, 2012
Lititz, PA
OK, here's my very first question for you all.

I'm buying my peeps in March from a local breeder. They are going to charge me $2.60 per peep. Is that too much?

Well, my local dealer told me that the breed I should go with is called a "gold red" (sexlink) which he says will lay earlier and typically lay for a long time. So it sounds like I'm paying a good price?

I would ask what breeds they are using for their cross. I have read about situations on these boards where people posted pictures of their "sex link" chicks and asked why half of them looked like roosters with "female" coloration. Clearly, the person they bought from had purchased straight-run sex links and then bred them to each other thinking the resulting chicks would be sex links and advertised them as such. It doesn't work that way. So, simply asking that question will let you know whether your breeder is a real breeder or someone hatching their backyard eggs trying to make a few bucks.

I would ask what breeds they are using for their cross. I have read about situations on these boards where people posted pictures of their "sex link" chicks and asked why half of them looked like roosters with "female" coloration. Clearly, the person they bought from had purchased straight-run sex links and then bred them to each other thinking the resulting chicks would be sex links and advertised them as such. It doesn't work that way. So, simply asking that question will let you know whether your breeder is a real breeder or someone hatching their backyard eggs trying to make a few bucks.

Pretty common. The subsequent generations of bred back RSL's are fine enough birds, but they cannot be sexed at hatch and the egg size is seriously reduced, in our experience.

Hmm It depends how many you get, because there's the feed too, feed prices are going through the house, my feed prices for layer is 18.00 now!

That sounds completely reasonable to me. You don't have to pay for shipping, so that's a plus. Unless you have a TSC.. You could get them there as well. I don't think they would be cheaper though.

Show chicks cost like 5.00 or 10.00 so that's a good price
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom