Am I right, or wrong?

swampcat

Songster
8 Years
Apr 18, 2011
Brooklyn, CT
My turn!!
ya.gif

These are both six weeks old. I originally thought the barred rock one was a roo because he/she was (and still is) completely dominate over the golden comet. So the barred rock became Big Guy and the Golden Comet became Nervous Nelly (she is constantly peeping about something and always worries if she can't see either me or Big Guy). Now I'm thinking maybe they are both pullets, but Nelly's comb has got me wondering. What are your thoughts?

Here's a side-view of Big Guy/Girl

87318_100_1095.jpg

Nervous Nelly side-shot

87318_100_1096.jpg

Big Guy/Girl

87318_100_1100.jpg

Nervous Nelly

87318_100_1101.jpg

Thank everyone!

Thanks for your reply. Yeah, taking pictures of chickens certainly isn't the easiest thing to do in the world I will see if I can't get a couple more pictures that are clearer. Any thoughts on the golden comet? Is she looking pullet-ish? There is no red in her comb yet

I don't have any experience with the GC's, but it's legs look pretty large for it's age, and comb is a little large, so if I were to take a guess I'd lean roo, but again I have no experience with that breed, so hopefully someone else will chime in and confirm for you.

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

I'm thinking the "BR" might be a Cuckoo Maran hen. She has white legs. The other one doesn't look like a GC.
hmm.png
But it's a rooster for sure.

~Aspen

Wow! You might be on to something, I did not see the white legs, I think your right on the BR/Cuckoo Maran, but either way it looks to be a pullet, both are great birds!​

Thanks for the replies. My friend hatched those two out, but she has quite an assortment of hens and roos so its quite possible is some sort of crazy mix.

Here are a couple more pictures... not the best... chicken photography is darn near impossible!

87318_100_1108.jpg

87318_100_1109.jpg

87318_100_1138.jpg

87318_100_1145.jpg

Cute chickens! I own a slew of Gold Comets, and I can assure you that Nellie is not one. Gold comets are a light orange color, with lots of white in their hind-quarters. No black, no brown, very rarely rust. They are a very specific result of a cross between two purebred birds of different breeds with the specific intention of being able to sex the babies from birth. They are a one-generation hybrid, which will not breed their traits true.

What I think your friend gave you is the offspring of a GC, which means it is a beautiful barnyard mutt, and there's no telling what characteristics will shine through from it's ancestry. It's looking pullet so far, but that can change quickly at this age.

Back
Top Bottom