Am I the only one that hates halloween?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by rainplace, Oct 31, 2009.

1. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

It's just not something I'm into. I can't stand the expectation that someone can come to my door and get something from me. I don't want to get up and down all night. I've always sent my children off with their friends parents who are really into it. Am I the only one that hides out with most of the lights off?

2. GaNewChick

GaNewChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    McDonough, Ga.
    It appears that way ~ [​IMG]

Actually, I love Halloween but the only kids we have knock on the door are from next door. I just curl up on the couch and find a good movie to watch!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  3. Stumpy

Stumpy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    When we lived in town, we turned off all lights and did not participate in any way. Now we live in the country and wouldn't know it was Halloween if it wasn't all over the news, etc. We abhor Halloween.

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

We live so far out that no one comes to our neighborhood anyways. I don;t hate it, I just don;t get all undone over it. Now Christmas I LOVE!!!!

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I don't do Halloween, either, for very specific reasons. I really detest it personally. I'll do Thanksgiving, but not Christmas, so wake me when it's January!

****Gee, if you think about it, it makes NO sense to keep kids away from strangers then tell them it's okay to go to their doors and beg for candy. [​IMG]

6. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    You can't stand that some little kids come to your door expecting candy?

I wish we had some dropping by. We never get any, because there's only two houses down our road and no other houses nearby. I guess its not worth the walk. We have half a dozen jack'0'lanterns out every year, and I think we've had kids stop by once in about 10 years.

I took our kids out tonight, I think they walked at least three miles, had to come home because their treat bags were breaking from the weight.

We hiked up some long driveways too, and there was usually a little old lady at the door, happy to see the only kids who'd come to her door all night.

7. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:ME ME ME

Me too!

I never have been fond of Halloween. It goes against everything we teach kids IMO, not to mention the sugar load!

Last year we had ALL the house lights off (hid in the back bedroom on the computers) and people still bothered us. This year has been rather uneventful, even the dog hasn't barked much.

8. Frogdogtimestwo

Frogdogtimestwo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    We do not celebrate halloween here either.. We turn off the lights and go to a room that can't be seen with lights on and the kids get to watch a movie and enjoy candy treats. I teach my kids every day to not open the door for a stranger so why would I open the door for a masked stranger whom I don't know with who knows what intentions, NO THANKS!

9. Frogdogtimestwo

Frogdogtimestwo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Tala we were thinking the same thought! My kids Grandparent's have more of a problem with it than our own kids! I grew up not celebrating it so it's no big deal here.

10. heyeddah

heyeddah Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Milford Ct
    As parents we teach our kids come home before dark, don't talk to strangers, be safe, candy rots your teeth and spoils your appetite... then one night a year we send them out in the dark in dangerous costumes to knock on doors of strangers and beg for candy... I do not like Halloween. People trashed me for those thoughts today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by