1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Am i the only one?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by CliffB, Nov 6, 2014.

1. CliffB

CliffB Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2014
    Georgia
    Everytime a flock of black birds fly over my property or sit in the trees around my house my chicks run for cover. Right now half of them are hiding in a corner of the run and the other half are hiding in a corner of the coop. Just curious if i'm the only one this happens to.

2. mtngirl35

mtngirl35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    My chickens panic and run into the coop squawking every time I open the door to my storage building. [​IMG]

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Chickens in general and chicks especially are naturally alert for and fearful of aerial predators. As they get older they usually start to discern between birds that are a threat and ones that aren't but as youngsters they don't know and hide from everything. Especially if there are no older chickens around for them to learn from.

4. silly4buttons

silly4buttons Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2013
    Billerica Ma
    My chickens are scared of falling leaves and airplanes. Silly girls.

5. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

Instinctive nature.

Be glad if they are exposed and unprotected from above.

6. CliffB

CliffB Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2014
    Georgia
    It only seems to be the black birds that scare them. The dogs can run right up to the fence and they just kinda move to the other side of the run but as soon as the black birds are covering the trees around our house the chicks hide in the corners of the run and inside the coop against the walls. It's just like the hundreds of black birds squawking terrifies them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by