Am I using the heating plate right?

Show Sebright

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Apr 1, 2020
Orlando FL
Hello i am getting the brooder set up for my chickens in September and I am not sure how high the plate should be. I have it to where the chicks will touch it is they sit up. Is that right?

Ideally you want it set at an angle, so one side is higher than the other. The high side should be roughly tall enough so chicks can touch it standing up, and low side should be roughly low enough so chicks can touch while sitting down.
Ok I will try to figure that out. Mine has adjustable legs but it has set spots that it’s able to click on to. I am going to play with it today and see. I am trying to murder every mite in that coop right now. I think permethrin isn’t do anything anymore. Any ideas? I had Scaly leg mites on my first flock of layer hens and will never deal with that again hopefully.

Ok I will try to figure that out. Mine has adjustable legs but it has set spots that it’s able to click on to. I am going to play with it today and see. I am trying to murder every mite in that coop right now. I think permethrin isn’t do anything anymore. Any ideas? I had Scaly leg mites on my first flock of layer hens and will never deal with that again hopefully.
I put my heat plate at an angle too, high in front & low in back. How big & how warm is the space you are brooding them? Might want to make a separate post about mites...sorry I can’t help you with that!

I put my heat plate at an angle too, high in front & low in back. How big & how warm is the space you are brooding them? Might want to make a separate post about mites...sorry I can’t help you with that!
I will go measure it but it is at least 2 feet long and a foot wide. It is small but once they are able to be at 90 degrees I will split them between to of the brooding coops. Then once they get to big 5 go to some friends and 5 go to the school to finish raising.

Back
Top Bottom