Am i wasting my time????please help

MRBIG...you have to keep in mind that some people have very strong opinions about their flocks, and the mere mention of culling or replacing a flock to start new is just not something some people are willing to do.

Now, there are others who feel differently, and they are usually more quiet about it. I may get shot down for this, but as much as I love my chickens, they are just chickens.
roll.png
<Deep breath> Here goes my rant:

We are raising our birds for meat and eggs, and even my children know this. I will not tolerate a mean roo. Mean roo today, equals good eatin' tomorrow in my book. Don't care if he's one of my "faves" or not. If a roo hurts a child in my care, he's done. End of story, and no second chances.

As far as eggs, I see the pullets as friendly egg makers.
big_smile.png
I am feeding them the best possible foods (which aren't incredibly cheap mind you since I am feeding organic now) to ensure that we get the best possible eggs from them. I wont cull a hen simply because she's moulting, UNLESS (as in Storey's Guide) she is a severly slow moulter, because they wont lay again until they finish their moult, and I just can't see feeding a laying hen for 10 months while you get nothing in return.

(Oh, I'm gonna hear about this one, I'm sure!)

If they are a "good" moulter, they should be done in 10 weeks or so (according to Storey's Guide) and then go on about their laying. I have limited space for layers and just cant afford to have it used by alot of non productive birds, unless they are extremely special to me.

I started this whole thing as a learning experience for my children. And it has been. YES, they are adorable! YES, I love cute little fuzzy chickie butts! YES, I love showing off photos of them. YES, I have my faves. YES, I name them! YES, I treat them with love and kindness (even the broilers) and handle them daily and enjoy sitting in the coop or outside with them watching their antics.

BUT, I am a realist. They are chickens. Chickens are food. Its a harsh reality that many are just not willing to, or can not accept. I can not see taking a sick chicken to the vet and spending hundreds to treat something like a cold. If the illness is something that could spread to everyone in the flock, then maybe. But, I can not justify in my head, spending so much on something that cost so little. I wouldn't take my son's hermit crab to the vet, and I wont take a chicken.

However, I'm not cruel, and I wont let my animals suffer. I read so many times about a dieing chick and people watch it suffer while they try to help it. Me? when we ordered our chicks and I noticed two that weren't going to make it, I did the humane thing and put them out of their misery before they had to suffer for days on end, only getting worse by the day until they finally die on their own, a horribly worse death, in my eyes.

(OMgosh...what has gotten into me today? Oh, chocolate cravings, aches, bloating...lol Sorry gals! Please bare with me!
tongue.png
)

ANywho, now that I'm going to be getting a bunch of hate mail....to answer you point blank and honestly....If YOU think you are wasting your time, then you are. If you have birds that are taking forever to moult, or are constantly broody, or are otherwise costing you money that you cant afford, or cant afford to wait on their internal clocks, then replace the offenders in the flock. If they are your pets, then keep them and let their clock catch up with them.

We can not tell you what to do. We are not there and do not see the effect the chickens have on your lifestyle, finances, etc. When you ask for advice, you will get all sides of the stone, so to speak. Don't let someones opinions get to you and make you second guess yourself, or doubt your ability to care for your birds. I say, do what you think is right and dont let others opinions influence you.

Last edited:
4H.......you brought up some excellent points with this post. I agree with you on many of them. I cannot justify taking one of the girls to the vet, I'd rather save that money for one of the kids.

At the same time, I didn't brood my peeps in the house. They've always been outside, but they've been with their mama, too. I'd planned to brood them outside in the shed (with a light, etc) until it was decided we'd take mom with babes.

I see pics of chickens in people's homes, and for that person, I think that's wonderful. I, however, can't see doing that here. They're chickens, not dogs, cats, parrots, etc.

And yet..........these are my girls. Even with the two nasty bitties that I decided to either stewpot or re-home. (If they'd ended up in "somebody's" freezer, that would be fine with me. BUT, they weren't going in MY freezer, as I can't bring myself to go there. That comes from childhood, helping my mom butcher rabbits and chickens. Couldn't stand the thought of eating Fluffy.)

I have no problem with other people culling their flocks for whatever reason. I figure we all do what we feel justified in doing.

I know Speckledhen and I are together on this one; these girls are precious to me. And, for myself, I couldn't bring myself to cull. I'm not even sure how I'll handle having to put one down, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Getting eggs is a side bonus to the therapy sessions the girls give me. It's a fair trade, I feed them, love them, shelter them. They give me peace, serenity, and eggs. If they want to molt and take time off.......no sweat! I'll wait for them.

Sorry to get windy. There are definately two sides of every coin. Bottom line, like you said, is that we all do what we all feel justified in doing. The next person may not agree, and that's okay, too.

edited to add: I'll do everything in my power to help a sick chicken, but if it's evident I can't cure him/her of what ails her, then it needs to end.

Also, Mr. Big.....I don't think it's a waste of time to ask questions, nor to get answers to those questions. No matter how those answers come. When I ask a question, I expect to get answers that maybe I don't like, or agree with. I try to appreciate everybody's opinion. I read somewhere on this board once that a question could be asked of 5 people, and get 6 different answers. That is so true!

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this has been answered but wanted to add my own 2 cents. Think of your chickens as a group of women. We have cycles, moods, funny idiocyncracies (sp?) and we get over them and life is normal again. JUST LEAVE US ALONE DURING THOSE TIMES!! Your girls just need a little time and space. Then they will look gorgeous with their new feathers, be over the broodiness and get back down to business of laying those delicious eggs---til next time.
wink.png

One last thing, Speckledhen then I'm going to let this one go.

I can't tell you how many times I've come here, seeking advice or information that I haven't been able to put my fiingers on in any of my 'bibles' (Storey's being one of them), and I've looked specifically for your posts. I feel that you and I are very similiar in our practices and beliefs. As a relatively new chickenaholic, I value whatever you share here and I thank you for that.

Have a great day, all!!

I also don't have time to read books which is a shame since it used to be my one of my favorite hobbys. That is why I registered on this site, so I could get answers to specific problems without taking the time to do the research. I like getting others opinions (even when they contradict each other) because then I use them as "ideas" and pick and choose what will work for me.
Am I lazy?? Yes. But I have a house, 10 acres, horse, two cats, dawg, 17 chicks with 10 more coming (building a coop), and work full time and no DH to help with the work load means I don't get much couch potato time.
Am I using other Chickenlovers time?? Yep, BUT they let me by answering my posts and they would'nt be resgistered on this site if they did'nt want to waste their time.
MRBIG just ask some questions. Whats the big deal??
I still new to chickens but I will answer:
No, i would not get rid of chickens when they molt, just wait it out.
Chickflick had two broody hens, Austrolorp was easier to break her out of it by simply taking her off her nest ( about 2 weeks maybe), Silkie was impossible to break, had to wait it out.
You are never wasting your time with chickens or any other animal.
I'm with blue90292- Major bummer about winter.

If you have time to sit around and read all these posts, you have time to read a book about something you are supposed to be interested in keeping ALIVE. Its not like you are reading about computers where it doesnt matter if you know about them or not. If you know nothing about birds and don't spend the time to learn about them, its their lives at risk.

MRBIG,
How is the molt going? Have you decided what to do with your molting ladies? Have you had any luck breaking up your broody?

I had to break up a broody once. I just kept her from gaining access to the nesting boxes for a couple of weeks and then she was fine. At the moment she's hatching some peeps for me, so I'm willing to cut her some slack for tending to get get broody!!!

Haven't had to live through a molt yet. I'm going to be very disappointed when my girls stop laying - can't stand store-bought eggs anymore!!!

Lori

Quote:
Your avatar picture worries me....

and Broody hens should be given good eggs to sit on.... Duck eggs will produce quite a show later on.

I can understand not having the time to read a whole book, when all you want is to know about one small thing. I have no idea how much you know about chickens, but to other inexperienced people, I have to say that it is extremely important to know about the basics of chicken care, and you should figure all of that out before you get the chickens, not after. I love to post here because you get different opinions, there is no such thing as a stupid question, so ask away when ever you need something. I also know some people just don't have the room to keep their chickens until they die, especially if they just want them for eggs. Although if you cannot deal with mother nature, then maybe store bought eggs are a better option for you. I would suggest getting a breed of chicken that does not go broody, and then maybe you will have better luck.

Speckledhen,
Sounds like you had a horrible experience with your broody Buff Orp. I can just see mine doing that next time. I like your idea of providing her some eggs and just letting her brood. I think I will do that next time instead of trying to keep her out of the nesting boxes, etc.

Lori

Back
Top Bottom