Am I wrong for thinking this is crazy advice?

Hangin Wit My Peeps

AutumnBreezeChickens.com
11 Years
Apr 20, 2008
Birnamwood, Wisconsin
So, I was reading this duck website to learn more about my ducks...what I read surprised me. On it they mention how you should only allow your ducks 2 hrs in the pool a day, they should NOT be out in the rain, and they should NOT be without food/water over night. I wonder if these "duck experts" have ever owned ducks? Am I wrong to think this is ridiculous when it comes to ducks? My ducks have shelter but where are they? In the rain/pool loving every minute of it. I think I will stick to BYC for advice on these things (ppl who have actually owned these animals for MANY years). When I do look elsewhere I always end up right back here! Don't know why I waste my time looking other places.

Last edited:
Your loyalty will be appreciated by the site owners, I'm sure
smile.png

I have protection from the "elements" (be that sun, rain, hail or snow) available to my ducks; I trust their judgement that they will know when they need it most. However, in defense of the unknown website you mention, it does have to be stated that some people assume that ducks need no protection, at any stage, ever! On that, they are slightly mistaken (think age, stage and health). Maybe the website was simply acting/advising for the benefit of those not-so-hardy ducks?
hu.gif

At some age/stages, it is correct to give them access to food/water on a permanent basis (I'm thinking young ducklings here); however, I take your point that it may not be an always/all times requirement.

You refer to the websites you have seen as "experts"? Well, just like you have to make assumptions/decisions about advice you are given in the real world, from real people you meet, so too should you be cautious in what you read on the net: a.n.y.o.n.e can set up a webpage/blog/forum/chat and it is always wise to treat those with caution. While they may not call themselves "experts", it is easy for the viewer to interpret their advice as "expert" and be led astray.

I think it is to your credit that you end up here for advice: however, I would add the same cautionary note: before accepting advice on here as gospel, you still need to check out the credentials of the poster
wink.png
For example, I am giving you my opinion/experience, freely, without prejudice, and heartfelt. Does that make me an "expert"? No, of course not! Does that make me sincere? I do hope so!! However, it also means my advice may not be "factually" correct? I would never, willingly, mislead anyone - but the only person who knows that for certain, is me
wink.png

So, how do you judge my reply? By my post count? My length of membership? Whether what I say rings trues to you? Or, how many (subsequent) posters agree/disagree with what I posit?
hu.gif

Like anything in life, its a judgement call
wink.png

I'm pleased you find BYC the place to come for advice. I'm delighted you did not "name n shame" the website your allude to (because they may have posted in good faith, based on their own experiences).

Your loyalty will be appreciated by the site owners, I'm sure
smile.png

I have protection from the "elements" (be that sun, rain, hail or snow) available to my ducks; I trust their judgement that they will know when they need it most. However, in defense of the unknown website you mention, it does have to be stated that some people assume that ducks need no protection, at any stage, ever! On that, they are slightly mistaken (think age, stage and health). Maybe the website was simply acting/advising for the benefit of those not-so-hardy ducks?
hu.gif

At some age/stages, it is correct to give them access to food/water on a permanent basis (I'm thinking young ducklings here); however, I take your point that it may not be an always/all times requirement.

You refer to the websites you have seen as "experts"? Well, just like you have to make assumptions/decisions about advice you are given in the real world, from real people you meet, so too should you be cautious in what you read on the net: a.n.y.o.n.e can set up a webpage/blog/forum/chat and it is always wise to treat those with caution. While they may not call themselves "experts", it is easy for the viewer to interpret their advice as "expert" and be led astray.

I think it is to your credit that you end up here for advice: however, I would add the same cautionary note: before accepting advice on here as gospel, you still need to check out the credentials of the poster
wink.png
For example, I am giving you my opinion/experience, freely, without prejudice, and heartfelt. Does that make me an "expert"? No, of course not! Does that make me sincere? I do hope so!! However, it also means my advice may not be "factually" correct? I would never, willingly, mislead anyone - but the only person who knows that for certain, is me
wink.png

So, how do you judge my reply? By my post count? My length of membership? Whether what I say rings trues to you? Or, how many (subsequent) posters agree/disagree with what I posit?
hu.gif

Like anything in life, its a judgement call
wink.png

I'm pleased you find BYC the place to come for advice. I'm delighted you did not "name n shame" the website your allude to (because they may have posted in good faith, based on their own experiences).

Well said!

I have also read differing duck care tips, advice etc from all over the web AND even feed store to feed store has their own 2 cents. It's been confusing. So I really rub the pennies I get from everywhere against my ducks books and here and then formulate a choice that I feel comfortable with. A bit like being parents- you do the best you can with the information you acquire and hope for the best! lol

Back
Top Bottom